It won't see the CD drive. It has power. I can open it and close it and it runs when there's a CD in it. But Windoze won't see it.
I've run a virus scan. (AVG)
Running a malware scan (MalwareBytes) and later I'll do Spybot.
Win7, 64bit. My computer is plugged into a surge strip. It is a built computer I've had for, oh, I guess a year and a half.
I'm pretty computer savvy so not a complete idiot. I rarely turn my computer off since I run BOINC. Fridays I turn it off then run scans. So it was on yesterday when the power went off. Again. We came home to find a power company truck down the road. Within a half hour, there were two more. The line from our pole through two other poles was down. A tree had fell just beyond us, taking out the lines on both sides of their pole. Yay.
So power finally came back on about 5hrs later (at one point there were about 6 big big power trucks in front of my house). I did a few things and then had problems with the pulse ox I just got. First I noticed the 'my computer' window did not have the device listed. Then I noticed the CD drive wasn't listed either. I couldn't do much last night because the cable was still out. (but, miraculously, just like always, it was back on less than an hour after I called and they said they'd send someone out between 9am and 2pm and someone had to be home, etc etc)
I've not tried the device again. BUT if I plug a USB drive into the port, it sees it.
I am tempted to open the case, unplug the CD drive. Reboot. Let it sit. Then turn off, plug the CD back in, and boot up. Maybe not seeing it then seeing it would work?
- I've done the 'look for new hardware'.
- I've run a MS FixIt thing (which said it had a problem but couldn't fix it. figures).
- I have the CD for the drive but, duh, how to reinstall it with no drive?
- I've run chkdsk because each boot said I really should. I found the log and it said there were no errors. It said it had done something with the files but no errors.
- The malware scan is still running but nothing found so far.
Will disconnecting then reconnecting the CD drive kick M$Win into seeing the drive?