Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Condensation
Condensation
"I'm getting condensation in a nasal mask, temp is set at 81F, humidifier set at 4 (using an Airsense 10). Room temp is usually around 60F. Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Condensation
Are you using a Climateline heated hose?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure your machine is set lower than your head so that condensation in the hose runs back down toward the machine rather than down into your mask.

And if you're not already, using a heated hose goes a long way toward reducing/eliminating excess condensation ("rainout"). When not using a heated hose, a hose cover can sometimes help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Welcome to apneaboard.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 02:44 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Are you using a Climateline heated hose?

Yes
Post Reply Post Reply
If the condensation is only in the mask or the near end of the shorty, it is undoubtedly due to exhaled moisture. I have this problem to some degree; it is annoying when I get a drip onto or into my nose. I think wrapping the shorty in a cozy might help, but I haven't been annoyed enough to sacrifice an old sock.

Let us know if you find a solution, please.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 02:34 PM)wasicu36 Wrote: "I'm getting condensation in a nasal mask, temp is set at 81F, humidifier set at 4 (using an Airsense 10). Room temp is usually around 60F. Any ideas?

When I first started with this machine, I used the exact same machine settings as you. I also like a similar bedroom temperature (60-66 deg). Unfortunately with that cool of a bedroom, you will likely get some condensation no matter what you do. There is just too much of a difference between the ambient temperature and the temperature inside the hose / mask. Even with the ClimateLine Air heated hose AND a ResMed zippered hose cover (6'6", designed specifically for the longer hose), I still sometimes get condensation, especially inside the mask and short tube.

You will just have to experiment. I actually require more humidity than the Auto setting (humidity 4, hose 81) because I live in such an arid environment. So, I use humidity 6 and max out the hose temp at 86. I also keep the hose running between my pillow and the headboard, curl it down to my other side, and "cuddle" with the short hose, keeping it right next to my body. 80% of the time I don't have condensation enough to wake me up and require "drying" the mask exhale ports with a towel. But, sometimes I do and just deal with it.

You can also buy covers for the short tube that attaches to the mask, or you can make your own with a strip of fleece and some rubber bands.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wasicu36,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It would not hurt to wrap a cover around your hose to insulate it from the cold environment. Another thing that I have found is that some masks are made of different or thinner plastic which transfer heat better than some others. Better heat transfer gives more propensity for condensation in the mask.

When I was using a nasal mask and had no heated hose, I was getting rainout inside the mask even with a fluffy hose cozy. The rainout would often drip directly into my nose and make it feel like the machine was trying to drown me. I was able to reduce the frequency of occurrence but did not eliminate it completely until I switched to a full face mask which felt to me like the plastic in the mask was thicker. With that change the rainout in the mask quit entirely.

A mask cozy, if any such thing is available, would help or you could make your own being very careful to ensure that the vent does not get blocked.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Pad a Cheek!   Go to Pad a Cheek right away!

Buy a barrel cozy and a short hose cozy, and you will greatly reduce the amount of exhalation condensation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to prevent condensation in the tubing? TiredTom111 5 707 06-24-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,445 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Condensation kschlanker 3 549 04-28-2023, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Condensation after adding a support Ghandi 4 530 04-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Ghandi
  Condensation in nasal mask only...help! lethargic22 5 2,341 03-10-2022, 10:09 AM
Last Post: lethargic22
  dreamstation to airsense 11, no condensation to a flood plaidwandering 4 1,377 12-25-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: plaidwandering
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP: Struggling with humidity and condensation Punkrulz 2 1,235 12-15-2021, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Punkrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.