Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Condensation
Condensation
I am new to CPAP, been on it for 3 weeks.

I am using Resmed Air Sense 10 Autoset with ClimateLine Air tubing.

Every morning I noticed that there is condensation in the water chamber and mask including elbow.

Temperature is 29 degrees Celsius and humidity is 5.

I put the hose under my doona at night.

How do I prevent the condensation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Condensation
Try reducing the temp to around 26. You can also try reducing the humidity to 2 or 3.

I had the same problem with my s9 auto set,although since using the climateline pipe I haven’t had problems.

I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2018, 08:26 AM)Glamdrhel Wrote: Try reducing the temp to around 26. You can also try reducing the humidity to 2 or 3.

I had the same problem with my s9 auto set,although since using the climateline pipe I haven’t had problems.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion.
However, experiencing dry mouth and tongue at current humidity of 5 so not keen on reducing it down to 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
See if your machine have an auto setting for humidity, if it have you can try that also.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2018, 08:36 AM)sylviay Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 08:26 AM)Glamdrhel Wrote: Try reducing the temp to around 26. You can also try reducing the humidity to 2 or 3.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion.
However, experiencing dry mouth and tongue at current humidity of 5 so not keen on reducing it down to 3.

Welcome to the forum sylviay.

Condensation in the humidifier chamber is normal. Condensation in the mask is not. Turning the tube temperature down will only increase the likelihood of condensation in the mask. The first thing I would try is running your humidifier in the auto mode. Auto mode sets the temp at around 27 c and the humidity at 85%. More importantly, it self adjusts in order to prevent condensation. A hose cover in addition to your heated hose may work as well.

Dry mouth is usually caused by breathing through your mouth while under pressure. It can happen with all masks, including full face masks. I have to use a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed, even with a full face mask. Member OpalRose describes a method she uses to stop mouth leaks called the Tongue Suck Technique:

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back. This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

Using dry mouth remedies can also help alleviate dry mouth symptoms. Some popular ones are Xliment and Act lozenges and Biotene gel and Biotene spray.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
With that high temp setting on the hose and the moderate humidity setting for the machine, and you are laying the hose under something that should insulate it somewhat, this tells me that the ambient humidity in the room is already moderate-to-high.  You are effectively super-saturating the air, or attempting to humidify it higher than the dew point between the water chamber and your mask, including the mask itself.  The result is something you know all too well.

You must find a way to minimize the rain-out inside the mask.  Remember, not only are you intent upon humidifying the air reaching you from the machine, but your nose, turbinate bones, trachea, bronchia, lungs, and then back out again are also attempting to add to the moisture load of the air that must get out of the mask and expelled into atmosphere.  It's obviously too much.

I don't think you need quite so high a temp, but lowering it will only make things worse at this dew-point.  So, to me, the clear decision would be to reduce humidity.  FWIW, I keep mine set to a lonely "1" on my machine.  I keep my tube temp at 27 deg C, and whereas I previously had quite a bit of rain-out during my trails with PAP, I have never had it since taking my new machine home seven months ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'd have to experiment a bit with settings to find your personal best results. You can try setting the humidifier to manual and adjusting the humidity setting from 1-8, higher numbers results in increased humidity. The heated hose probably might need set towards the higher end of the scale to minimize the rain out effect. Including a full length hose cover may help too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find a mask liner helpful.  I just make my own out an old tshirt. 

Also I fling my hose over the headboard.  That also helps with condensation.  Alternatively, you could set the machine lower than your mattress.

BTW what is a doona?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
emphasizing a point made above: dry mouth is more likely due to mouth breathing regardless of humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing will likely cause dry mouth. You're correct.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to prevent condensation in the tubing? TiredTom111 5 706 06-24-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,445 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Condensation kschlanker 3 549 04-28-2023, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Condensation after adding a support Ghandi 4 529 04-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Ghandi
  Condensation in nasal mask only...help! lethargic22 5 2,341 03-10-2022, 10:09 AM
Last Post: lethargic22
  dreamstation to airsense 11, no condensation to a flood plaidwandering 4 1,377 12-25-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: plaidwandering
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP: Struggling with humidity and condensation Punkrulz 2 1,234 12-15-2021, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Punkrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.