Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Configuring my DS2 for when I travel based on my AS10 settings
Idea 
Configuring my DS2 for when I travel based on my AS10 settings
Friends, one week ago I decommissioned my "forced-stealth" DS2 (sold to me by my sleep center) and deployed a new "nighthawk" AS10 AutoSet (bought on my dime) because of the precious advice I got on this forum: I have the right to access my sleep data and use Oscar to browse it.

Having said this, the DS2 is still a pretty good machine, I gather. Form factor seems awesome: light, compact, easy to carry, silent, and, above all, it does its job. 
Long story short, I am going to elect it CPAP travel companion and put it in my suitcase when I'm away from home.

Questions: here are the AS10 settings that work for me (attachment). What are the corresponding setting on DS2?

Do you see any issues placing the DS2 in  the suitcase as opposed to carrying it with me?

How do you handle the distilled water? Did you figure out a way to carry a modicum of distilled water in the luggage? Sourcing distilled water in the place you arrive might be a PIA I'd happily avoid...

Also, I'm a bit worried about mask and pipe. Would it make sense to bring them with me so that they won't get damaged as the luggage is thrown around by the ubercareful airport personnel ? How do you guys handle that?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may want to share

Fillmore

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Configuring my DS2 for when I travel based on my AS10 settings
You can pack or carry your DS2 any way that it is reasonably safe from damage. Packed in clothes should be fine, especially since you have another machine. I don't use distilled water ever. When traveling, I may use bottled water or what comes from the faucet, then spill and dry the container in the morning. Mask and tube is very durable and probably more resilient to damage than the machine. Bag it and pack it. Helpful travel tip: take an extension cord or power strip. Many hotels are very short on power outlets, or power outlets are loose for the 2-prong plug. Add the need for charging a phone, watch, computer etc and you can quickly find yourself without enough outlets. Your summary data does not suggest any issues at all with your settings of 8-11, EPR 3. Of course we can't see events or other important information like session times and continuity.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot, Sleeprider. Attaching a full Oscar report from last night. The settings were determined thru the advice from you and others in other threads and appear to work wonderfully for me.
I never tinkered with the DS2 settings as they were determined by my sleep center remotely (I wonder when it'll dawn on them that I'm not using "their" machine anymore), so I am not sure if I'll get the same exact options once I go into the "advanced settings panel" and try to override them. I gather that I will, so I'm happy.

Thank you for the great advice about using regular water instead of distilled water. Manuals and you tube video are adamant that one should use distilled water, but I imagine that using bottled water occasionally is not the end of the world.

Fillmore

Post Reply Post Reply
Watch your AHI on the DS2 if it is consistently higher than the AutoSet increas the min (and maybe) max pressures a bit (1cmw at a time). It will likly take a 1-2 cmw increase to come near the ResMed.
On water, If you will drink the water safely it is good enough for your pap. Distiled having fewer minerals making the cleaning need easier and less frequent. On the rad, just dump it and refill nightly. Most tap water is fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, most of the settings that can be accessed in the DS2 are shown in attachment. Your DS2 is likely registered with CareOrchestrator, so they can likely see your usage as well as the settings in the machine (if you've used DreamMapper with the DS1 check there to see if the registered machine is now the DS2). Not sure if they saw different DS2 settings in CareOrchestrator if they would be inclined to re-upload your prescribed settings. Putting the machine in 'Airplane Mode' > ON may avoid that.

Post Reply Post Reply
If this were me, my plan would be take the ResMed and skip the Respironics. Then you need not be concerned about setting discrepancies and changes to therapy. And the big bonus elephant in the room is that it's certain OSCAR would work with the ResMed data to give you easy reports. Why volunteer to torture yourself?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DS2 is perfectly capable of delivering a good nights sleep if dialed in and your AHI's are good.  I could care less about not seeing other information (and wouldn't even bother looking) if I'm sleeping good.  If not then the Resmed makes perfect sense. I love the Resmed Airsense Auto 10 but unfortunately that's not what my DME provided. I keep it as a backup and rock the DS2 since my AHI's are always less than 1 and I sleep well. Resmed has similar results.  For comparison untreated my AHI's were in the 40-50 range. REGARDLESS of which one you choose I would never trust mine to checked luggage. What if it got lost?  It doesn't count as a carry on but as a personal item (like a purse).
Post Reply Post Reply
wanna know something funny? I fired up my DS 2 after one week in the box and I realized that the sleep center values were lower than what people here helped me determine (thanks to Oscar's dataViz) and it was set as CPAP (and not Auto!)

let's see how it goes as i will use DS2 again for 5 nights while I'm gone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm back from my travel. I was still on the plane when I realized I had forgotten to bring a small but essential component: the little adapter that connects the pipe to the mask.

Attached, how I fixed with rubber bands. Can you think of another way?

Fillmore

Post Reply Post Reply
A screw hose clamp will also work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 96 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,681 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,343 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 93 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 676 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,751 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Best way to use two ResMed AS10's TommySnores 3 192 02-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: TommySnores

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.