Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Conflicted about using the F&P Pilairo Q Diffuser System
RE: Conflicted about using the F&P Pilairo Q Diffuser System
(04-17-2014, 01:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It is my understanding that there is no setting for mask type on the Philips machines. That is a ResMed thing. It would not affect therapy anyway. The CPAP will continue to increase air volume to reach the set pressure until it maxs out. The main thing the mask type is used for on the ResMed machines is to calculate the unintentional leak rates.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
…and that brings up another matter of curiosity in the wee small hours of this ongoing new guy adventure. I've perceived that resistance to inhaling and exhaling appears to change in the early morning hours - literally to the point that I have thrown the hose onto a water manometer to confirm that pressure has not fallen significantly as the device has pumped through the night. The manometer always reads 12.5 cm/H2O regardless of change in perceived resistance and pump sound output. Most often when I note this perceived change in resistance there are no readily apparent leaks in the mask and the biphasic process of inspiring and expiring is quieter than when I am falling asleep, and, it feels like a smaller volume of air is moving through the mask in both directions, almost as though the blower output is lower while manometer pressure remains constant at 12.5. Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
I have and continue to experience the same thing that you are talking about with my ResMed machine. I had chalked it up to my body and the machine getting synced better. Sometimes it seems so soft even at my pressure of 20 cm/H2O that it seems like the machine might be off. I check it and it never is. I have no other ideas but I have not really thought about much.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2014, 12:45 PM)critterdoc Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 10:47 AM)snowboardjoe Wrote: Have you been adjusting your machine to match your mask (full mask vs. nasal vs. nasal pillows)? That might make a significant difference in the therapy delivered. I'm guessing it adjusts the exhalation pressure if it know there is a smaller exhalation vent on the other end?

I'm also in the middle of converting from Simplus to Pilarios Q. I made sure to adjust my S9 for each switch.
I see no adjustment for mask type in the PRS1 REMstar DS460TS clinician's setup module. I've gradually come to the conclusion that I'm a mouth breather after I've entered the early stages of entering the drift. As I relax, my lips begin to flutter and a startling blast of chilly air exists my mouth which is a strange feeling and which tends to push my Spartiate honey into combat mode. Bug-eyed

(04-17-2014, 01:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It is my understanding that there is no setting for mask type on the Philips machines. That is a ResMed thing. It would not affect therapy anyway. The CPAP will continue to increase air volume to reach the set pressure until it maxs out. The main thing the mask type is used for on the ResMed machines is to calculate the unintentional leak rates.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Yep. A mask setting is a Resmed thing. The Resmed machines need to know what kind of a mask you're using so that they know how much to subtract off the raw leak data before recording the leak data that shows up on the LCD, in ResScan, and in SH. The PR machines simply record the total leak data and report that in the software. So they don't need to know what kind of a mask you are using.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that the perception of lower resistance in the early morning versus when first going to bed, is just perception and your body getting acclimatized to it. I find the same thing. In fact, when I wake up in the morning, I barely notice it being there and can comfortably leave it on without even being aware of my breathing. Whereas, when I'm falling asleep, I'm quite aware and focused on it.

As for the original question of higher resistance with the Q, I think with the pillow masks, since the pressure is being delivered directly into the nostril by the pillow as opposed to being spread out over a higher area with a nasal or full face mask, it makes it more obvious, but with use the feeling does decrease and go away - just like the change in feeling when you wake up versus when you went to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,278 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 113 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 383 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,025 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,892 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 475 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 362 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.