Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused ASV bipap owner
Ohmy 
Confused ASV bipap owner

Hello all,

I was looking on the clinical manuals for setting pressure and my menu settings don't look exactly like the manual. For instance I don't have "ramp" time or "epr". I supposedly bought a Resmed S9 ASV.

Also for some reason, I run out of water in my humidifier, even when I tried my old humidifier with the new machine.

Hate-cpap Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused ASV bipap owner
Hi Kate - which particular version do you have? There are a number of different S9 VPAP models with varying capabilities and complexities. The model should be printed on the front, near the on/off button. Also, most (or all) of them can operate in different modes, which will have different menu options.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 04:20 AM)Kate Wrote: Hello all,

I was looking on the clinical manuals for setting pressure and my menu settings don't look exactly like the manual. For instance I don't have "ramp" time or "epr". I supposedly bought a Resmed S9 ASV.

Also for some reason, I run out of water in my humidifier, even when I tried my old humidifier with the new machine.

Hate-cpap Kate

Hi Kate,

Your machine's model number (called the REF#) is on the back of the blower unit.

On my S9 VPAP Adapt (US model 36007, manufactured before November 2012), when in basic CPAP mode it will have options for Ramp but not for EPR. When the machine is in ASV mode the Ramp option does apply and is hidden. When in ASV mode EPAP is adjusted manually and the Pressure Support automatically adjusts itself to reduce or prevent apneas and hypopneas.

The newer model S9 VPAP Adapt (for example US model 36037 manufactured starting November 2012), has additional functionality. CPAP mode offers the EPR option and the Ramp option is not limited to CPAP mode. Also, the machine has a new mode, ASVauto, in which EPAP can be assigned a range and will automatically adjust itself to minimize obstructive events while keeping the pressures as low as feasible. The Pressure Support automatically adjusts itself in both ASV and ASVauto modes.

Both the new and the old S9 VPAP Adapt models have "VPAP Adapt" written next to the On/Off button. There is no visual difference between the old model and new model other than the REF# printed on the back of the unit is different.

Although I think the new features would be nice to have, in my view the new features are not essential and the new model sells for around USD$4,000, versus the older model which, if bought new with standard 2 year warranty, sells for less than half that much from Supplier #2.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter,

It's model number 36007 and it is very noisy. It sounds like a bubbling, blowing sound, and I put a mouse pad under it to try and make it quiet. I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with it because I have a total face mask and it blows very loud leaks all night. My settings on it are: Mode ASV, EPAP 8, Min PS 3.0, Max PS 10.0, Mask Full Face, Tube Standard, Climate Control auto, Sleep Quality on, leak alert off (because it makes my mask rattle, why I don't know), Smart Start on, ABFilter no.

When I woke up this morning the humidifier was bone dry. The humidity was set at 3.5. With my last machine, I would set it at 3.5 and only have it half full. I would wake up with water in the chamber. I even tried putting my old humidifier on the new machine, completely full and it ended up empty.

I got it from supplier number 2 on the list. It arrived last week and I had asked for your model number but you must have gotten it because it was gone when I asked for it.

Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 03:06 PM)Kate Wrote: Peter,

It's model number 36007 and it is very noisy. It sounds like a bubbling, blowing sound, and I put a mouse pad under it to try and make it quiet.
A bubbling sound makes it sound like you may have a rainout problem with condensed water collecting in a low spot in the hose. Does the bubbling sound start right away or does it happen after you've been using the machine for a while?

Quote:I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with it because I have a total face mask and it blows very loud leaks all night.
Loud leak noises indicate a problem with the mask, not the machine. When you say "total face mask", do you really mean a total face mask that covers the whole face including the eyes and part of the forehead or do you mean a "full face mask" which covers the mouth and nose, but leaves the eyes uncovered?

The total face masks can be very hard to get a proper seal, but for the folks who manage to learn how to do it, those masks can be comfortable for a number of reasons. If that's the kind of mask you're using, can you tell us why you're using such a large mask instead of a smaller full-face mask or a nasal mask?

My settings on it are: Mode ASV, EPAP 8, Min PS 3.0, Max PS 10.0, Mask Full Face, Tube Standard, Climate Control auto, Sleep Quality on, leak alert off (because it makes my mask rattle, why I don't know), Smart Start on, ABFilter no.

Quote:When I woke up this morning the humidifier was bone dry. The humidity was set at 3.5. With my last machine, I would set it at 3.5 and only have it half full. I would wake up with water in the chamber. I even tried putting my old humidifier on the new machine, completely full and it ended up empty.
Leaks can increase the amount of water the machine uses because leaks cause the machine to blow more air over the humidifier tank in an effort to keep the pressure at the desired setting. On your last machine, were you using the same mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue,

I have a Total face mask that covers my eyes and part of my forehead. It's funny, my mask worked perfectly with my old auto set cpap but not with the bilevel. I was even sleeping well with my

As for the rain out, I have a climate line tubing. Does that prevent rain out or can it still happen? If it can still happen, how do I prevent it? On my old machine, the setting on the humidifier was 3.5. I have the same setting on my new. What is different that would cause rainout?
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
I will in box the link to you because I am not sure if the link belongs to an organization that sells cpap supplies so better safe than sorry. I don't want to get a warning!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 04:46 PM)robysue Wrote:

It's model number 36007 and it is very noisy. It sounds like a bubbling, blowing sound, and I put a mouse pad under it to try and make it quiet.
A bubbling sound makes it sound like you may have a rainout problem with condensed water collecting in a low spot in the hose. Does the bubbling sound start right away or does it happen after you've been using the machine for a while?

My VPAP Adapt also makes a noise which could be described as "bubbling" though it's very quiet. It starts immediately and seems to be coming from the blower, not the tube. No problem at all with rainout.

My machine has been getting progressively louder, but it's the white noise of air in motion rather than the "bubbling" which is getting worse. I suspect Kate is experiencing the same phenomenon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 09:33 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 04:46 PM)robysue Wrote:

My VPAP Adapt also makes a noise which could be described as "bubbling" though it's very quiet. It starts immediately and seems to be coming from the blower, not the tube. No problem at all with rainout.

My machine has been getting progressively louder, but it's the white noise of air in motion rather than the "bubbling" which is getting worse. I suspect Kate is experiencing the same phenomenon.

"Bubbling" does sound like condensation or rain out in the hose. If it starts right away, I have found it to be from overfilling the water chamber so that it immediately sweeps some water up into the hose which then finds a low spot to collect in. One way or the other, if it is bubbling in the hose you can eliminate it by holding the hose up high over the machine. I put the machine down lower than my bed and make sure the hose comes up from the machine to bed height.

Of course with a Climateline hose it I would guess that it should just be a matter of turning the temperature up if it is rain out.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 03:06 PM)Kate Wrote: My settings on it are: Mode ASV, EPAP 8, Min PS 3.0, Max PS 10.0, Mask Full Face, Tube Standard, Climate Control auto, Sleep Quality on, leak alert off (because it makes my mask rattle, why I don't know), Smart Start on, ABFilter no.

Hi Kate,

Have you been able to check your data? If there are no hypopneas and no obstructive apneas, you can talk to your doctor about lowering EPAPmin by 1 or 2 and leaving the other settings unchanged. If EPAP is staying all night at the EPAPmin pressure (8), then EPAPmin may be higher than needed, and lowering EPAPmin would tend to lower the pressure, which would likely reduce leaks.

I think it is unintentional mask leaking which is increasing the airflow and causing the water to get used up too quickly, leading to dry mouth.

Are you using the Mask Fit function to adjust the mask?

You may need new mask cushion. That may mean a new mask, if cushion and mask frame are all one piece.

(01-31-2014, 03:06 PM)Kate Wrote: When I woke up this morning the humidifier was bone dry. The humidity was set at 3.5. With my last machine, I would set it at 3.5 and only have it half full. I would wake up with water in the chamber. I even tried putting my old humidifier on the new machine, completely full and it ended up empty.

This shows there is nothing wrong with humidifier. So the problem is likely excessive leaking.

When climate control is in Auto mode, I think it ignores the humidity setting and sets humidity according to the hose temperature selected. The warmest hose temperature will use up the water the fastest.

If humidity control is in Auto mode, you can try lowering the hose temperature to see if the water will last longer. But if there are large unintentional mask leaks, that is likely the main problem causing the high rate of water usage, leading to running dry.

(01-31-2014, 03:06 PM)Kate Wrote: I got it from supplier number 2 on the list. It arrived last week and I had asked for your model number but you must have gotten it because it was gone when I asked for it.

I also have S9 VPAP Adapt model 36007 for United States.

I have never yet seen Supplier #2 offer the newer model (36037 in United States), but I suppose it will eventually.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 356 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 717 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 525 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.