Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
RE: Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
I originally thought of using Dawn (the one with the ducks on the label) and was told by several people to avoid it due to harshness on the silicone. Instead, I have been using Johnson & Johnson's baby wash. I compared the ingredients in the brand and store brands/generics and saw that the store brands/generics use SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) and parabens. I rinse at least 30 seconds in running water and then air dry. This is not an endorsement. This is what works for me. Doing homework helps a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2019, 11:40 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: The nurse at my doc's office is saying not to use Dawn as it may be too harsh on the machine, hose, etc. 
Not sure if I would want to listen to my nurse on what detergent to use to clean my accessories.
I have used Dawn for years with no issues.
Just rinse your stuff thoroughly after each wash to make sure you won't be inhaling soup residues and you'll be fine.
Ps.
I once made the mistake of adding DETOL disinfectant to my accessory wash and boy I could not get rid of that strong pine odor for a couple of days after.
Don't use DETOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Clorox Anti-Bacterial wet wipes on my mask and cushion. They work great, but they do leave a minor residual aroma that quickly dissipates within a few minutes. 

They clean well enough to insure a good mask seal.....at least for a few hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soap for masks, and mask bodies? Ivory Dish Soap or Dawn. Tossed into a plastic tub with a water tight lid aaaaannd SHAKE, come back 10 20 minutes later Aaaaaannnnd SHAKE. maybe 1 hour later aaaaannnd SHAKE. (SHAKE vigorously) Dump water/soap and refill and add a few tablespoons of vinegar and soak for 5 -10 minutes and dump and place on a drying towel and put away. (I have 6 or 8 different masks so this is a bi weekly event) Rotate my masks every other day.
Head gear goes into the washing machine 2xs a week, and air dry.(NO DRYER!)
Hoses I have 4, get a soapy water soak and a vinegar water rinse and a 20 minute suck dry on the vacuum cleaner (special made attachments by me) the fresh air gets pulled through the air hoses until dry)) then hung up until I rotate them.(the hoses get a wine cork in one end, then fill the air hose with either liquid and plug the other end with another wine cork and hung or laid out to soak. >=======< PS I like the smell of vinegar so I don't rinse it off overly vigorous. 
I use the masks until they start to yellow (2+ years on most of them) My provider gives me 2 new hoses, masks, and head gear once a year. I have 2 years of brand new unopened sets. 1 new set is packed in my go bag.
Since 2013
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,712 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 242 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 521 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 448 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,287 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 329 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.