Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused newbie with oximeter report
Confused newbie with oximeter report
It was suggested to me that I may have sleep apnea so I bought an oximeter.  Last nights reports attached but I have no idea what I’m reading.

I’d really appreciate any help in deciphering the report and, if there is an issue, any advice on what I do from here.
Thanks

Attached Files
.pdf   Oximeter Report 26.07.18.pdf (Size: 122.84 KB / Downloads: 98)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused newbie with oximeter report
Sleep apnea, when you stop breathing or breathe in much less than normal while sleeping, can cause your pulse oxygen to dip because you aren't breathing normally. Mine does during clusters of apneas. But a recording oximeter only gives you a suggestion that you may have sleep apnea based on the dips below 88%.

To diagnose if you have sleep apnea you need a test that specifically measures whether you actually stop breathing, and whether you are trying to breath and your airway is obstructed by your body or if your brain is just forgetting to breathe. There are home tests and lab tests for this. Most home tests will have you wear a sensor under your nose that measures air flow, and one or two "effort bands" that measure whether you try to expand your chest or stomach to breath in. Another test called a WatchPat just goes on your finger, but it is a fancy $4,000 machine that measures more than pulse and oxygen levels, and it can tell if you are breathing or not through some very sophisticated sensors.

In the US some sleep studies scored by a board certified doctor are available through many on-line vendors, and range in price from $150-600 as far as I've seen. My recent home test was covered by my insurance company/medical service, Kaiser, and a co-payment. I don't know what your situation is or what the best way for you to get a sleep apnea test would be where you live.
Post Reply Post Reply
LuluBel, first, welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what you hope we will explain about your chart, so I'll just take a SWAG at it. At first glance your chart doesn't look too bad. However your heart rate is pretty high (is that normal, or is your oximeter counting it wrong?) and although the times your O₂ goes low are few, the cumulative effect of reduced oxygen saturation can be serious — and in your chart it seems there are a couple of times it goes seriously low.

You probably have learned that a saturation level below 88% is bad and in your chart it seems to have gone as low as 75%.

Like you, I suffer from low O₂ sat. And mine only occurs during sleep; awake it's always very good. I also have apnea and have to use a PAP device. However there wasn't a PAP device that prevented my getting low O₂ sat; I have to use supplemental O₂.

So as Stom said, PAP may not address your low O₂ sat. You need to discuss your chart with your doctor and have the higher-level testing done that will determine your treatment.

Did you notice that the percentages shown, though tiny, are percentages of the entire 6-1/2 hours of your sleep? Note the areas of your chart that concern me.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lulubel,
The oximeter is just a screening device for sleep apnea.
The dips below 90% are not very good. If the dips last a long time, that's worse.
According to your report  you only spent 3% of your time sleeping below 90%. Not too bad.
You had 143 times during the night when your oxygen level dropped 4% or more and lasted for at least 10 sec. Not all of those drops were below 90% SpO2.
Your ODI (oxygen desaturation index) was 22.1 for the night. You had an average of 22 desaturations every hour you slept.

If you didn't have sleep apnea, the report would not show many of the dips. Your report suggests that you have moderate sleep apnea.
Are you tired or sleepy? Or not feeling your best.
The next step is to go see your doctor, show him your report, and ask for a sleep test.
Post Reply Post Reply
As was mentioned before a sleep test is really the best way to find out about sleep apnea. As far as oximeters go I would continue monitoring for a week or so and see if there is a trend. The sensor you wear on your finger for the oximeter have been known to give faulty readings due to loose connections and hand movement. The more samples you have the more reliable the data.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your responses. I wake up tired and sleep in the day to get through. I am hypothyroid and have fibromyalgia so it’s difficult to know what could be making me tired. I will see my gp and see if he will look into it further.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,481 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 11 229 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 122 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,048 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 189 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.