Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused on oximeter real time usage on sleepyhead
Surprised 
Confused on oximeter real time usage on sleepyhead
Good evening all,

I purchased a Contec CMS50F oximeter and used it for a little while but questioned the results as it kept saying my oxygen was dropping a lot more then I thought.  In order to ensure it was not a technical issue, I splurged the extra money and bought the Innova CMS50FW Plus (with blue tooth) because I had read on SleepyHead that if you stayed connected to the computer all night, you could even get data on heart rythm and I was VERY interested in that.

My question is... how in the world do I stay connected to the computer AND have my finger connected to the monitor?? Huhsign  LOL??  I thought I needed the bluetooth one in order for this to work, but when I try to connect, SleepyHead can not find the monitor.  I tried connecting to the oximeter program (Sp02) and then SleepyHead and still not dice.  I did some forum research and found where it said to connect to the USB and computer and then to finger... but if the finger port is the same one used to connect to the computer, how do you do that?

I am quite confused here (but that's not entirely new ;-)      I really would like to wear it and record with SleepyHead in real time overnight so that I can see the additional information, but just having trouble figuring out how to make this all work.

I have both of the monitors (USD and Bluetooth one), so I would sure love advice on how to make this happen.

Thanks   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused on oximeter real time usage on sleepyhead
I believe you may need to connect to the oximeter's software, not SleepyHead.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2017, 08:41 PM)Beej Wrote: I believe you may need to connect to the oximeter's software, not SleepyHead.

I bought the new one because if you click on the oximetry button/link, the second option is for real time recording and says that if you stay connected to the computer all night, you get extra information.  I have clicked it, but it says it can't find a device.  I tried connecting through the SP02 software and started it live, and then tried the sleepyhead button again and it still said there was no device.

I'm still trying things and researching, but just hoped somebody would know easily Wink thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't record SpO2 data in real time in SleepyHead.  You can only import the recorded data to SleepyHead.   In order to use the real time bluetooth feature of the CMS50FW, you have to use the SpO2Assistant software.  This feature seems to be more geared for a medical practice where the patient would be connected while they are getting the patient's vitals.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2017, 09:27 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: You can't record SpO2 data in real time in SleepyHead.  You can only import the recorded data to SleepyHead.   In order to use the real time bluetooth feature of the CMS50FW, you have to use the SpO2Assistant software.  This feature seems to be more geared for a medical practice where the patient would be connected while they are getting the patient's vitals.

ok, I did try to use both programs at the same time but it still says it can't find device.

I am trying to access the  option listed on SleepyHead as "Record attached to computer overnight (provides plethysomogram)."  When I hover over this option, I also read "If you don't mind being attached to a running computer overnight, this option provides a useful plethysomogram graph, which gives an indication of heart rythm on top of the normal oximetry reading."   This is the function I am attempting to use.

I did read that the bluetooth device might not be compatible, but I also have the regular CMS50F, but when I read about setting it up, it says to connect the device to the computer by the USB cable and then put the finger probe on (but the finger probe attaches to the device USING the USB inlet on the device so the cable can not be connected to the computer AND to the finger probe at the same time. 

Could you possibly tell me what I am missing in making this work?  I can use my bluetooth device overnight when using the SP02 software, but if SleepyHead isn't compatible with the bluetooth, how is the section option on SleepyHead Oximeter Import Wizard used?

Thanks again for the help, sure hoping I can figure this out.  Obviously there has to be some way since this second option is only available when I select my devices in the type drop down box and is greyed out as not an option if you select any of the other device types.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a link to manuals for the software in the product review, other section of the forum.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2017, 10:08 PM)Beej Wrote: There is a link to manuals for the software in the product review, other section of the forum.

I got your reply immediately and have been looking through the product review section and even ran another search for the CMS50F model including software manual, but am not pulling anything up or locating the links you referred to.

In my searches before posting the question, I did find a link that sent to direction regarding how to input the data into the SP02 software, but I have been able to do that without any issues and then the other link I found was the one that talked about how to do live record but it said to connect the USB to computer and then to finger and that's what I didn't understand since the USB port is the same one used for the finger probe.

I do try to do research on my own to solve problems befor asking and have had both of these oximeters for several weeks and have everything working except the ability to connect to the additional features mentioned on the SleepyHead software.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Jedimark never finished the real time import of oximetry data, either by Bluetooth (CMS-50FW and CMS-50IW) or by USB (CMS-50D+). I can look at the oximetry code during the day, but I don't have any of the applicable devices for actual testing.

At this point, I think the best you can do is synchronise the clocks on the machine and oximeter, and do the double upload (CPAP first!) in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2017, 10:42 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I think Jedimark never finished the real time import of oximetry data, either by Bluetooth (CMS-50FW and CMS-50IW) or by USB (CMS-50D+). I can look at the oximetry code during the day, but I don't have any of the applicable devices for actual testing.

At this point, I think the best you can do is synchronise the clocks on the machine and oximeter, and do the double upload (CPAP first!) in the morning.

uuumm, a bit above my technical jargon level... LOL..  Let me see if I deciphered correctly  Huhsign

Are you saying that the second option for live reading with heart rythm information was started but unable to be finished and that's why it shows as an option but is not detecting devices? 

If you are the one doing the work (as it sounded like to me... LOL) and you need a device to progress in your work, I will be more then glad to mail you one of these if it will help you continue to help others here with your programing.  like

If I completely misunderstood what you were saying, please just let me know.... I am imfamous at misreading Wink

One more thing, I AM able to connect to your 'live' option with my USB device plugged into the computer USB port, it just obviously has no data because the finger probe can't be used at the same time.  If I just do like you said and do a typical upload from the device in the morning, is it still possible to get the heart rythm information or will that only be available when the 'live' option is finalized.

Thank you again to EVERYONE that helped here and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't figure this out.. LOL  Dont-know

Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Uploading in the morning will give you the pulse rate each moment, but the perfusion index (which I don't understand) is not available.

I think at this point I am not ready to try to graft the Bluetooth import into SleepyHead, as I don't think I really understand what is going on with oximetry import (let alone Bluetooth) well enough. I have a CMS-50F, so I am interested in getting that sorted out. Perhaps at a later time I can work on Bluetooth.

Really, Jedimark is in charge; I can only submit patches for him to review and incorporate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How and where to adjust local time. douglaskeene 2 83 03-23-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  csv-converter for like nx-8462 oximeter capman 1 148 03-15-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: capman
  thumbdrive-oximeter-format-analysis capman 6 192 03-15-2024, 04:29 AM
  Time listed: Wrong end time? How to fix? Plmnb 5 201 03-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CMS50F Oximeter Device not Recognized. ThinMountainAir 20 2,409 03-07-2024, 05:13 PM
  csv-format for generic oximeter imports into oscar capman 2 156 03-07-2024, 07:06 AM
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 613 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.