Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confusing Sleep Study Results
RE: Confusing Sleep Study Results
(06-13-2021, 10:43 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 09:43 PM)vmarshmellow Wrote: So how does that work exactly? Do I get my doctor to prescribe the CPAP and then if insurance turns it down get one from one of these suppliers?

If I get one from the doctor I've supposed to have another sleep study to fit and adjust the device. How would I even do that if I don't get one through my doctor? I am in the US.

If you get diagnosed with Apnea, doc needs to write a script for the machine, typically a CPAP. I think I've seen where you may be diagnosed as having mild Apnea. More on this in a bit.

Insurance will approve payment or not before PAP is issued, so you'd know either way soon enough. If declined, you can get doc to script a PAP with the stipulation you're buying one without insurance. In that case you contact Supplier #2 or others and get it shipped after calling, as I'd suggest if supplier 2 AKA second wind. They can tell you exact hours and price.

Stats in the test result of note:

83 Arousals at 12.5 per hour
12.5 is the total Apnea and Hypopnea per hour
45.3 is the Apnea and Hypopnea per hour in REM sleep
0 Central Apnea total, 3 each Obstructive and Mixed (sleep time)
SpO2 dropped to 82% in sleep and/or REM
Longest Apnea event 14 seconds

If I've got it correct, your diagnosis will be mild Apnea at 12.5, or if my math is right, an event roughly every 4.8 minutes. Seems like enough. You don't have any Central events but there's 3 Mixed and ditto for Obstructive so you're likely to be dealing with almost only Hypopnea, a 50-80% blockage instead of 80-100% full Obstructive Apnea. Still an issue though.

If my thoughts about this are accurate, you're getting a CPAP script. I'd suggest the ResMed AutoSet or AutoSet For Her.
 Thank you for reviewing my results!

I hope you're right. I am definitely going to do some followup on this whether I get a prescription or not. If it wasn't for the headaches I might think it's no big deal but when I have headaches every day I can tell my cognition is impaired. I'm tired of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I heard from my Pulmonologist's office on MyChart (names redacted):

Good afternoon,

Dr. XXXXXXXXXX allows me to provide results to you, per protocol. Your sleep study was read over the weekend and I will enter the results below.

"
IMPRESSION:
- Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea (AHI 12.5), worse in REM sleep (REM AHI 45), with associated O2 desaturations to a low of 82%.
-In addition, frequent snore arousals were noted.

Please keep your titration study appointment. Afterwards, you will select a lcoal Durable Medical Equipment company to supply you with the device, and you will use for all sleep including naps. You will come back to the office once you have been on the device for 31-90 days.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
XXXXXX

"

So that is good news for me! I guess that means insurance will cover. If it doesn't I will just buy one.
I was looking on a website called Lofta. Unless I am completely mis-understanding something they are not nearly as expensive as I thought and it is a doable expense for us. Worth knowing that I will be getting a full nights oxygen.

I am a homemaker so I do ok with the sleepiness because I can nap a lot but I look forward to seeing if I start to find sleep more restful again! I often want to take a nap within an hour or two of rising. Crazy, right?!

According to my Amazon Halo band I often have nights where I only get about 20-30  minutes deep sleep all night long and less than an hour of often interrupted REM.

So thank you everyone for your input and .....

I know I know get a ResMedS10 Autoset or an Autoset for Her

Post Reply Post Reply
OK well that's sounding promising. Be sure to interview your prospective DME's with being in-network and supplying you with ResMed's AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet For Her as important to finding the right place.

Maybe call your insurance customer service number and ask about what DME's are in-network.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do.

Why is this board so pro ResMed? Just curious. From what I can see there is not an affiliation. Is there? Is ResMed really that good?

Lofta has the ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ listed for $598 (discounted from $999).  I don't need insurance to buy a machine in that price range though of course I would try to claim what I could.

Am I reading this stuff correctly? Or is that not one of the recommended machines. There are a bunch of ResMed machines and that is just one brand.

It would be nice to get a good one to start.

I have slept pretty much sitting up 3 nights in a row and already feel much better but my it's not a doable long term solution. I bought an adjustable bed about a year ago thinking it would help with my migraines. I didn't realize that I had to sleep with my head VERY UPRIGHT for it to make a difference. So now my arms and shoulders and middle back muscles are getting sore but my head feels great and I am not waking with headaches that come and go during the night. I really look forward to sleeping flat on my back with a contraption on my face. My mattress and bed are so comfortable and other than my head the rest of my body prefers that position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep that's the AutoSet For Her. There's one extra mode with it above the regular AutoSet. You may or may not need it but certainly can be tried.

The pro ResMed thing? Most PAP users will get better therapy, more comfortable, and quicker to dial the PAP therapy settings to optimal than Respironics. So it's the best for most users.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed machines are more responsive (increase pressure more readily) because of their programming. It seems like they might work a bit better from exhalation relief standpoint and that will be of benefit to you since you don't really have apneas, just hypopneas (restricted breathing)

Your headaches seem to clearly be caused by your blood pressure based on your comments. Restricted breathing can be a cause of high blood pressure (low oxygen levels requires more work by the heart) so it could be the reason. If you don't see improvement with headaches after starting PAP then try to focus on blood pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not only is the Resmed Autoset more responsive and comfortable, but you will have access to detailed data in Oscar that is not currently available for Philips since they decided to encrypt that data. In my opinion, the titration study is a waste of time and money. Without without the test you will be prescribed CPAP, and the test merely allow a prescription of a single CPAP pressure rather than a range that you would optimize with the data. Well that and considerably more insurance money to pay for the study. If you have significant co-pay or deductibles, you can ask for an auto- CPAP prescription and self titration. If you want to proceed with the test, the delays and higher expenses all go with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's true, and we can coach you through a free self Titration here that can go on as long as necessary till your settings are dialed in. Neither of which exist in a lab Titration... Free and days, weeks long in your home.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2021, 07:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Not only is the Resmed Autoset more responsive and comfortable, but you will have access to detailed data in Oscar that is not currently available for Philips since they decided to encrypt that data.  In my opinion, the titration study is a waste of time and money. Without without the test you will be prescribed CPAP, and the test merely allow a prescription of a single CPAP pressure rather than a range that you would optimize with the data. Well that and considerably more insurance money to pay for the study.  If you have significant co-pay or deductibles, you can ask for an auto- CPAP prescription and self titration. If you want to proceed with the test, the delays and higher expenses all go with it.

I checked back for more reponses on this thread but someone missed this one. Which is too bad because I literally saw it after the titration study. Since I have already met my deductible for the year I think I will only have the co-pay. I will be a little P*ssed if they come back and say insurance isn't paying since they didn't bring this up before the appointment. They asked me for the copay for the sleep study before I had it although I wasn't required to pay it first.

Anyway, I just called my insurance company and they only cover renting a cpap. That seems a little stupid to me. I guess they are counting on me not continuing to use it? Or maybe they want to spend more because insurance is a racket.

Anyway, the sleep center wanted me to pick two suppliers blind but then told me i could take the sheet home so i did. I am going to call all of them and check what they carry and their prices and if they are in network.

The person who did the titration likes resmed and they used a resmed machine on me. But yes they did the study to give me a one level machine and like I said I didn't read this response before I went. I thought it was a little weird. I did actually ask if he was looking for one level because that seemed a little off per my memory.

Anyway, at least I don't have any equipment yet so it's not to late to make sure i get the right thing.

thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW here's what I'd do to find a good DME: call insurance customer service to find in-network DME's nearby, note addresses and phone numbers of 3-5 DME's, call these DME's and look them up online, ask to be issued ResMed PAP, decide who's best after crunching the data
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.