Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air FF Mask
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Congestion
Only CPAP'ing since May

Wasn't ever aware that I was congested, stuffed up, until I began this process.
Knew i was a mouth breather but never gave it any thought, never questioned it, never made any connection between the two.

Finally had to resort to that nose rinsing at nighttime in order to make it through the night without ripping off the mask, not having been able to breathe

Weather suddenly changed in Toronto a week ago and has gone from summer to feeling as if it is late October much quicker than usual.

Curious since so many here have been dealing with congestion for years, but my congestion has s suddenly gone away, completely!

When I had it, and was nasal rinsing, my right nostril I could get clear very easily but never the left.
It was even harder to get the water to go up and around and back out that particular side so I just assumed I must have a narrower passage there.

But now, since all of a sudden I am completely clear and on both sides, what does that mean?
Have i developed allergies during the summer months and wasn't ever aware of it?

Ive never been allergic to anything that I am aware of and the congestion I had, I can't say when it began for i never noticed but do know I have been a mouth breather all of my life, even in childhood..................I don't have any other symptoms of allergies that i have heard of.

All of a sudden, I don't need to even use that salt rinse---its great! Big Grin

IF NOT allergies, what else can cause such congestion to be so heavy and then clear up as soon as the summer goes away?
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014 10:03 PM by ShelaghDB.)
09-18-2014 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Congestion
You can become allergic to something at any time, even after years of exposure.

But it could be that, since this is your first cool weather experience, that something is normally stirred up, awake, blooming, in the air, or whatever in the warmth but slowed down, dormant, not around in the cool. That could be just about anything. A mold, a mite, a flower, even a fan being turned off.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-19-2014 12:51 AM
Whitewabit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed V9 VPAP Adapt S9 (36067), ASV mode
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX, AirFit P10, AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5/4/9

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Its very possible you have Rhinitis, and may have had it for years from your symptoms. Ones nose can be obstructed deep in the nasal cavity and seems the movement of the forced air from your CPAP has cleared it somewhat.

I have been troubled by it for years and take an allergy medicine at night.
09-30-2014 02:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

I have seasonal allergies and this past Summer they were more bothersome than most times. However, now that the humidity is receding and the leaves are falling, my allergies seem to be letting up. My DIL who has asthma also has noticed a lessening of her problems now that Fall season is upon us. Glad you feel better.
10-01-2014 10:12 AM
TorontoCPAPguy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Autoset II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro FFM
Humidifier: H5i; Control III Germicide
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments: CMS50EW Oximeter; Everflo Q O2 Concentrator; O2 Analyzer; Climate Control Hose (winter)

Sex: Male

I suffer from allergies and stuffy nose and have had to go with a full face mask (Mirage Quattro) from day one to get any semblance of proper therapy. Since using the Quattro the only complaint that I have is dry mouth occasionally. I also upgraded to the S9 series and heated hose.. and if I notice that I am a bit stuffy when going to sleep I slap the humidifier in the line and get some warm moisture flowing with the air... completely rids me of the congestion all night. I also use the same if I should get a cold or sniffles and find that it keeps me from coughing with the FFM on. Worth a try. Just don't but your mask in Ontario. We pay $90 - $150 for a Quattro online versus the $350 plus tax they want from DME's in Ontario. What a rip.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.
10-01-2014 05:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  pressure vs EPR vs hypopnea vs humidity vs congestion Rick76599 6 385 10-15-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: Rick76599
  [Symptoms] Nasal Congestion chunchon 4 340 09-30-2016 07:26 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Can too high pressure cause headache/sinus congestion? jen61 14 1,118 06-25-2016 10:23 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Airfit P10 -growing ahi numbers and increased congestion? TOLsen 1 500 05-14-2016 03:40 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Sinus and nasal congestion and CPAP omega2498 10 5,369 04-06-2016 04:43 PM
Last Post: omega2498
Smile cpap erases nasal congestion and cough ran-man 7 740 02-04-2016 10:56 PM
Last Post: cpdaniel
  bad sinus congestion cameorose 15 2,081 01-28-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse