Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Connect to DreamStation over Wifi?
Connect to DreamStation over Wifi?
Hi there,

First time posting here. I have a month old Philips Respironics Dreamstation 500 with Wifi module. I have successfully connected the machine to my Wifi router and can see the DHCP assigned IP address for it.

I have scanned the machine's IP address on all TCP ports and nothing seems to respond. Does this machine have a 'server' type service that would accept a client connection? It would appear the machine only has a client that connects to some predetermined host as I can see trying to make a DNS request when it first wakes up. I haven't looked into where it is trying to connect yet. Total guess: it connects to a cloud service, uploads your data and indexes it with yours and your provider's ID. Your provider later connects to the cloud service and downloads it for their analysis. Is that about right?

If this machine has only a network client, it might be possible to intercept the connection to the server and redirect it elsewhere (locally) - assuming there aren't any certificate or more sophisticated client/server checks. Has anyone experimented with this?

What I want is to access my SD card data locally over Wifi. I gather I can use a Wifi-enabled SD card and that does have a 'server' service to where I can connect over LAN. But since the machine already has a Wifi radio, I figured I would try to use it.

Regards,
JR
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Connect to DreamStation over Wifi?
Hi JRoque - Welcome

What you are asking for requires a Toshiba FlashAir WiFi SD card.  Any size (8, 16, or 32 GB) will work.  The least expensive is the best.  A data download to your computer is greatly helped by either Sleep Master or FlashPAP software.  Both are free.  

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JRoque,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. Thanks both for the warm welcome and help with the questions. I will poke at it a bit more and see what I find. Otherwise, I will go the wireless SD card route.

Regards,
JR
Post Reply Post Reply
JR -
I would love to see you figure it out. Even though I can use sneaker ware for the SD card or a Flash Drive (which I got to work on one computer but not the other), I like you am going - hey, I have this Wi-Fi modem going over MY Wi-Fi into MY router over MY internet connection - what do you mean I can't access MY data? (Shhh - it is their Encore Pro 2).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I did some digging on this and can see the machine requesting a DNS host IP address and then trying to connect on a non-standard TCP port. As such, a custom "server" would need to listen and respond to the expected transmissions, then eventually receive the data file. As far as I can tell, there are no servers listening on the device from where we could copy the data.

In searching for information, I came across the manufacturers FAQ where they state their devices are 'secure' and 'HIPPA-compliant'. That's where I drop my research into this as I wouldn't want to inadvertently compromise it.

You can see more on the operation of the data uploads here: encoreanywhere.com/EncoreNetWeb/webhelp/clinhelp/modem_admin_book.htm

I will be buying a Wifi-enabled SD card as others have suggested. Note that such card will reduce the security of your CPAP data and care should be taken to set it up properly.

Regards,
JR
Post Reply Post Reply
It almost sounds like it's trying to connect to a VPN server. Either your IP would need to be registered with the server or a authentication certificate would need to be installed on the CPAP to connect.  Since most users have a dynamic IP from their carrier, I believe that an IP registration is out.

I know it falls under HIPAA guidelines, but what would, or could, anyone  do with my CPAP data.   I think my credit cards are safe.  .  .  Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding off the dreamstatiom wifi module is that it provides one-way communication between the machine and the DreamMapper service/PR servers, much the same way the Resmed cellular connection works. It is not used to access the data on-board, and to the best of my knowledge (happy to be corrected) you cannot connect
with it externally except via EncoreAnywhere(doctors) or dreammapper(patients).
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dream Mapper app uses Bluetooth to talk to your smart phone. The DreamStations can use either a WiFi or a cellular module (they are interchangeable) that plug into the left side of the machine. You can manually tell the machine to send an upload to whatever server in the sky it goes to, and a subscribing doctor and the DME can access the data through Encore Anywhere. Can the DME call the machine - I don't know. Does the machine upload data every XX days without being told to do so - It would appear so. The DME can change settings on the machine remotely, but I do not know if the connection has to be initiated by the machine, or if it can be initiated by the DME. As far as the use of my data - any HIPPA that wants it can have it.
I now circle back to how can I get my data from that modem - and it does sort of look like it is operating a VPN kind of lash-up - which probably means that I can't. THAT however brings up an interesting point, which is it is MY DATA, and I think I am entitled to it under HIPPA (Ohhh that felt so goooood - I not only joined the entitled youngsters but I found use for HIPPA.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  Good brush for cleaning the tubes that connect mask and cpap? hejohoo 8 773 08-25-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Anyone using a wifi dongle with Transcend 3? nathanoj 0 350 06-13-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: nathanoj
  DS2 wifi? KSMike 2 538 03-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: KSMike
  Resmed Airsense 11 autoset machine SD card and WIFI Tekno1 15 3,218 01-03-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Tekno1
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.