Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Connection of OSA to Rhinitis, and Sinusitis
RE: Connection of OSA to Rhinitis, and Sinusitis
Yes, it made little difference.

(01-12-2017, 12:50 AM)mrkdilkington Wrote: Have you tried a daily neti pot rinse?

Post Reply Post Reply
is it possible that you simply have UARS and not OSA?
I'm a little bit astonished that they made a turbinate reduction with NAR ... I always thought that makes it definitely worse.
It's a crap-advice but maybe you should start mouth-breathing while doing sports. (It's a really crappy advice - I know - but no sports at all is also not a good option^^)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have many of the same sinus related issues- clog up when lying down to sleep and a runny nose most all of the day. This has been going on for several years, and like others I have tried nasal sprays and had limited success. I have enormous bags under my eyes, particularly on the right side. One OTC remedy called D-Hist has provided some relief to the nasal congestion, but it gets expensive as the loading dose is 6 per day for 7-10 days and then drop to 2 a day after that. After 2 weeks I did get relief(not a total cure) from the stuffy head but was afraid to go lower than 4 per day since the relief was welcomed. The last 3 days I have taken one of the -D claritinish 24 hour tablets and my nose has been perfectly clear throughout the last nights, and I do feel better. Is that a long term solution to the chronic stuffiness while sleeping? Time will tell.
But, I do believe that at a minimum rhinitis in any form will make OSA worse if not bring it on. I have had nights where I wake up and my head is stopped up and I have clearly been snoring with my mouth wide open. I sleep with a contour pillow ON TOP of a nice big pillow that is firm as a concrete block after wife put it in washing machine. All of this in an effort to get rid of the stuffy head which is certainly making a good night's rest via breathing through the nose very difficult/impossible. The stuffy head along with fatigue and frequent nighttime urination have been my major complaints that I am hoping OSA treatment will benefit- and it has so far to a certain extent, but I'm only a few months in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm about to run out the door. I didn't hear about UARS, but I just glanced over a couple things. This does sound more like what I have, but I do snore a little. I don't know if that falls under UARS at all, but I am leaning towards it as my condition. It blows my mind even more that after 7 years, none of the ENT doctors even mentioned this.

The open mouth thing I am already doing. Doesn't work for running, but helps with most other stuff.

Thanks!

(01-12-2017, 04:24 AM)TBMx Wrote: is it possible that you simply have UARS and not OSA?
I'm a little bit astonished that they made a turbinate reduction with NAR ... I always thought that makes it definitely worse.
It's a crap-advice but maybe you should start mouth-breathing while doing sports. (It's a really crappy advice - I know - but no sports at all is also not a good option^^)

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you read about vasomotor rhinitis? Basically, the vasculature is trigger happy and will constrict or expand with triggers, such as changes in temperature, humidity, light (does it get worse going between 2 very different light levels?), and pressure (like lying down from vertical to horizontal, maybe?)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Ac55, have you also been evaluated for symptom-less acid reflux? That can cause chronic post nasal drip which in turn can cause issues with rhinitis, although not so much with sinus. Probably all the doctors know about the acid reflux-post nasal drip thing now, but they didn't 6 or 7 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 05:52 PM)ac555 Wrote: I'm about to run out the door. I didn't hear about UARS, but I just glanced over a couple things. This does sound more like what I have, but I do snore a little. I don't know if that falls under UARS at all, but I am leaning towards it as my condition. It blows my mind even more that after 7 years, none of the ENT doctors even mentioned this.

The open mouth thing I am already doing. Doesn't work for running, but helps with most other stuff.

Thanks!

(01-12-2017, 04:24 AM)TBMx Wrote: is it possible that you simply have UARS and not OSA?

Were the ENT's specialized in sleep surgery, or garden variety? Did they do a sleep endoscopy? You've been to ENT's but have you been to a orthognathic/maxillofacial surgeon (i.e. jaw surgeon) with specialization in sleep surgery? Their branch of sleep & airway surgeries and tests are vastly different from what otolaryngologists (ENT's) do. If possible I'd visit Stanford University as well; they have one of the best collections of sleep surgeons in the world (including the father of UARS).
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 10:09 PM)Beej Wrote: Have you read about vasomotor rhinitis? Basically, the vasculature is trigger happy and will constrict or expand with triggers, such as changes in temperature, humidity, light (does it get worse going between 2 very different light levels?), and pressure (like lying down from vertical to horizontal, maybe?)

I heard of it, but I had mostly looked at non-allergic rhinitis as a whole. Light, humidity, and temperature don't seem to have a noticeable effect. Laying down does was my primary complaint. From 2008-2015 I only had it laying down. After the turbinate reduction surgery, I started getting it while standing up. I'll research into it more.

I guess Nonallergic rhinopathy is the new name for vasomotor rhinits now. Just came across it researching.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 10:43 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Ac55, have you also been evaluated for symptom-less acid reflux? That can cause chronic post nasal drip which in turn can cause issues with rhinitis, although not so much with sinus. Probably all the doctors know about the acid reflux-post nasal drip thing now, but they didn't 6 or 7 years ago.

No, never had any type of acid reflux issues. I have seen drawings of what you are referring too though.

(01-13-2017, 12:40 AM)mrkdilkington Wrote: Were the ENT's specialized in sleep surgery, or garden variety? Did they do a sleep endoscopy? You've been to ENT's but have you been to a orthognathic/maxillofacial surgeon (i.e. jaw surgeon) with specialization in sleep surgery? Their branch of sleep & airway surgeries and tests are vastly different from what otolaryngologists (ENT's) do. If possible I'd visit Stanford University as well; they have one of the best collections of sleep surgeons in the world (including the father of UARS).

Honestly, I just started digging into everything about ENT after 7 years without success. I know 8 times more now about ENT related issues than I did back 3 months ago at my last ENT appointment. So I didn't think to look into much of that.

I'm going to say they were the garden variety. There was one VA ENT surgeon I saw when I had my turbinate reduction. I only talked to him before, and he seemed pretty knowledgeable. I never saw him again though.

Oh, you're going to love this. My primary complaint is that the symptoms are when I am laying down. Not once have they ever checked me laying down (other than MRI). No sleep endoscopy, in fact the allergy clinic did one while I was up and awake. I asked the Doctor if he wanted to do it while I lay down. "No, because if it blocks up, I can't see..." While he is 'looking for blockage' to determine the problem.

No, I've never been to a jaw surgeon. Now that you mention that, I have heard connections of the two. Right after I had my turbinate reduction surgery, I started getting pain in my jaw. That pain you get after chewing on gum way too long. I'd get that after about 3 minutes, and it would just randomly hurt. I've constantly complained about it for over a year to the ENT Doctors, but they just act like it's not related.

The main issue is trying to get something from an actual doctor to establish that their is possibly a connection between my sleep apnea, rhinitis, sinusitis, and now jaw pain. The VA refuses to acknowledge it, and as I mentioned in my original post it seems 50/50 with Doctors. The way insurance and Doctors are now days, I can't afford to go to 10 different outside Doctors until I find one who was smart enough to have done his research. I really need one locally in Tampa, FL as travelling around to somewhere else is difficult with my work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find a daily sinus rinse very helpful but not a total answer.  Recommendo a daily rinse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 406 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamstation1 battery connection kit good on DS2? OneSnorer 0 423 06-10-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: OneSnorer
  Sinusitis and Cpap Use jimk4490 14 1,566 01-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Climateline heated hose - broken or bad connection Wondering2 0 952 12-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  Airmini users, connection question? BobH56 7 1,284 10-16-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: BobH56
Question [Equipment] ResMed with GSM Mobile connection - does it work overseas? glomph 0 452 08-01-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.