Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Considering Dreamwear. Cushions or pillows? Your thoughts?
RE: Considering Dreamwear. Cushions or pillows? Your thoughts?
I've found that any air issues are down to the positioning of the pillows. I've never had any problems with the cushion mask and occasionally I wake up needing to adjust the position of the pillows slightly. I think that this is something that Philips could work on (they probably are).
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the Dreamwear, especially its headtop hose connection, which helps alleviate the Snufflupagus factor of most other masks.

It sometimes gives you the feeling it's leaking, but Sleepyhead data shows it isn't. I have the cushion version and after a brief initial period of columella-philtral angle soreness,

[Image: clinical-aspects-of-cleft-lip-palate-rec...1378652885]

for which you can use Lansinoh,

[Image: care_banner.png]

...it's comfortable and stays in place well, even for a side sleeper like me. I haven't tried the nasal pillows with it yet, but I might. The main downside is the nasal exhaust port blasts a cold airstream, which they could improve by giving it a diffuser like on the P10 or the Brevida.
Post Reply Post Reply
oh wow, full face is the worst thing ever compared to a nasal mask. no way I'm sleeping with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2017, 06:19 PM)Kryogen Wrote: oh wow, full face is the worst thing ever compared to a nasal mask. no way I'm sleeping with that.

Huhsign  The DreamWear is not a full face mask.

[Image: DreamWear-Nasal-CPAP-Mask-with-Headgear-...00x600.jpg] [Image: dreamwear-fitting5.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased a DreamWare Nasal mask about a year ago.  I did like the hose at the top, but a couple things...
It’s noisy compared to a P10 which is what I’m used to, and laying on my side was near impossible as the pillow would get pushed out of place, plus felt the air was restricted on the side I was laying on. Sad

When the Gel Pillow came out, I ordered one and was surprised to feel how comfortable it was, and I could lay on my side without it moving.  But.....the noise is just too much.  

I believe for those of us who are used to the P10 and the silence of this mask, that the DreamWare just doesn’t compare because of the noise.

But back to the question here....the DreamWare Gel Pillows are much better than the Nasal version.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading this thread has been interesting for me, because of the divergence of opinions about whether the cushion works OK when side-sleeping.  I got a Dreamwear recently and I chose the cushion at first because this time I wanted to avoid having any prong-y protuberance into the nostrils if possible (even though I use and like a Brevida).  But it turned out to be no good at all for me: way too many annoying leaks.  And I did have the S, M, and L sizes of cushion on hand.  Size S turned out to be best for me, but still not good enough.  So I switched to the gel-pillows nosepiece, and that works like a charm: I'm able to sleep on my side, flip from side to side, and so on, with no leaks.  The noise is another matter, but I'll add to a different Dreamwear thread to babble about that and everything else about the mask.

So here's a conclusion for anyone who is thinking of getting this mask:  You'll really need to try both and decide for yourself!  (Isn't that helpful?  You're welcome.)  However, do take into account the large number of people who have said that the Dreamwear cushion (the one without the gel protuberances) leaks when side-sleeping; in my experience, that is true.  The same frame and headgear (headgear consisting of only one strap) are used in both cases.  But be aware of the different frame sizes available, which I'll also talk about elsewhere.  Anyway, you just snap out one nosepiece and snap in another one, and that way you can switch back and forth easily between cushion and protuberant pillows, and switch from one size of pillows to another.

For relatively low prices on Dreamwear components, you could look on Amazon as usual, or if you have a favorite in the Supplier List, by all means use that.

Edited to add:  Just noticed this in another thread.  TYVM to Shin Ryoku for this:

(11-29-2017, 07:56 PM)Shin Ryoku Wrote: It's not necessarily the same size.  I use the small cushion but the medium pillows.

The cushion sizing guide is here: https://www.sleepapnea.com/documents/Dre...-Guide.pdf

The pillows sizing is based on fit: https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/mask...-right-fit
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamwear mask is by far the most comfortable I have tried, but alas, too noisy, and leaks too much when lying on one's side, and that goes for both cushion and pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 06:26 PM)illawarrior Wrote: The Dreamwear mask is by far the most comfortable I have tried, but alas, too noisy, and leaks too much when lying on one's side, and that goes for both cushion and pillow.

With the gel pillows, have you tried the different sizes? There are three. I get zero leaks with the GPs but many leaks with all three sizes of cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I tried all three sizes, perhaps I need a different sized nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 07:50 PM)illawarrior Wrote: Yes I tried all three sizes, perhaps I need a different sized nose?

Lately, because I'm going through the initial search for a mask that works well and I've been trying all sorts of stuff, I've been wondering why there aren't ISO standards for human nostril sizes. Metrics, you know? Because if I try one brand of mask and pillow/cushion/whatever and find that I take size M, that doesn't do me any good when I switch to another brand and might need size S or L.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 106 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,123 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 947 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 500 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 357 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 453 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 868 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.