Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Constantly waking up in the middle of the night
Constantly waking up in the middle of the night
I was diagnosed with mild OSA(5.6 events per hour) last year and have been pretty consistent with using my CPAP. At first, it was impossible for me to use the CPAP when the mask pressure defaulted at 6 cmH2O but I was able to finally tolerate the difficulty of exhaling when I changed the pressure to 4 cmH2O. I've been pretty good about using the CPAP now for almost 11 months. I used to be able to average 8+ hours however the past 2 - 3 months I've been waking up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason so I decided to track what's going on by using OSCAR. I've tracked the times that I've woken up and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to follow but I was wondering if there's something I'm missing or not noticing.

I've been keeping track of the times I'm waking up for the past 10 days but will provide that last three days due to attachment limits and below is the times that I've woken up. It's kinda interesting that it always occurs twice and around the same time every night. 
1/6/2023 - 1:40am and 3:40AM
1/7/2023 - 1:40am and 4:00AM
1/8/2023 - 2:19am and 4:20AM

I'm thinking about going back to my sleep doctor because I haven't really felt any different or better since I've started but wanted to get more thoughts about this before going in.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Constantly waking up in the middle of the night
Welcome to Apnea Board!

It doesn't appear you need that much pressure to control your apnea, so what I'm recommending is mostly for comfort.

First, you are using a wide open setting with a minimum of 4cm.  This would cause most of us to feel air starved.

Second, you're on the right track using EPR, but in your case you are not receiving any benefit from EPR.  The algorithm cannot subtract EPR 3 from a minimum pressure of 4 as the machine can go no lower than 4.  

In order to benefit from EPR 3, your minimum pressure should be set to 7cm.
(7cm minimum minus 3cm EPR equal an exhale pressure of 4.)  You may want to cap the max pressure at 12, although I don't see it even reaching that point.  

The times you list as wake ups line up with leaks.  Looks like some mask movement.  How does your mask fit?  
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Please try these changes and repost.  I believe you will notice a difference in your comfort and breathing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 1 39 1 minute ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 156 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.