Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contact allergy to mask silicon?
Contact allergy to mask silicon?
Now that I got great numbers with no major leaks, I began to introduce a kind of allergy on the face, in areas touched by the silicone mask, in the form of red spots that itch, and staying all day.
I've tried using Podacheek liner, but in my case, has increased in very large leaks, and had to leave.
Has anyone experienced this problem and can tell me how to solve it?
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon?
Do you have a DME or respiratory therapist? Talk to them about any alternatives.

There are cloth liners like Quietus Liners.

SilentNight is another liner that is made from a Micro Pillow Fabric. According to their site it is anti-bacterial.

The SleepWeaver Anew is a full-face cloth type of mask. It is made by Circadiance. They also make a nasal mask version called the SleepWeaver Elan.

From their site:

"The cloth is the same material used to make winter ski clothing. A portion of the mask that contacts the skin contains polyester, nylon, and elastane. The cloth material is “breathable” meaning that the material wicks moisture and heat away from the user’s skin. You should have no concerns about skin allergies or irritation with this mask. The headgear consists of polyurethane foam, nylon, and lycra. It does NOT contain Mercapto-benzothiazole or Mercapto MX. The plastic swivel is made of polycarbonate. Please be aware that there are trace quantities of BPA in all polycarbonate products. The Feather Weight Tube is made of hytrel and EVA."

You can also try using mask wipes and clean the silicone really well to remove any residual material from manufacturing.

Good luck.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you wash the silicone frequently? Do you rinse it well?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Conventional wisdom is that allergy to silicone is exceptionally rare. However, you might be allergic to something on the mask or even somehow soaked into the silicone.

Try washing the relevant plastic parts really well in very hot water.

Also be careful about what cleaning products you use. Many kinds of soap have fragrances and other stuff like moisturizers that may cause a reaction. I wash my mask parts in the dishwasher with regular detergent. (no dishes at the same time.) Be sure to rinse well.

Also consider what cleaners and skin care products you use. Because the mask holds moisture trapped on the surface of the skin and doesn't breathe, it might magnify the effects of anything on your skin or the silicone. Try cleaning that part of your face thoroughly before bedtime. Maybe even wipe with alcohol before bed.

Most insurance will pay for new cushions one a month or more often. Once you get a few spare mask cushions, you might experiment with very severe cleaning of one cushion you can afford to lose. If the cushion is 100% silicone, you can try putting it into some boiling water mixed with baking soda, but if the part is a mix of silicone and other plastic, the other part may melt.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I already use silicone mask for 6 years now (Respironics Comfort Gel and ConfortFull2) without ever having had any sign of allergy.
I started using the ResMed Airfit F10 at less than a month and was surprised by what seemed to be a kind of allergy to silicone.
I washl the mask with mild soap and water at room temperature rigorously every morning, and my face with the same soap, every night at bedtime.
Tonight I'll use Padacheek liner to avoid direct contact of the mask with the skin of my face, and I will replace the soap used in washing.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try baby shampoo on the mask. I think others have used Dawn.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all.
From today I will try to wash the mask using Johnsons´ baby shampoo.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,524 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Allergy Filter Follow-Up FLcracker 1 529 11-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Silicon Material used for masks SyCoREAPER 4 674 10-27-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  allergy free home strategies hegel 6 819 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: becker44a
  Medical Adhesive Allergy Greyghost1962 10 1,189 12-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.