Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contec CMS50F oximeter accuracy - oxygen drops with one OA more then multiple OA
Contec CMS50F oximeter accuracy - oxygen drops with one OA more then multiple OA
Ever since I've been using a Contec CMS50F, I've noticed some strange things. Sometimes, I can have one 25sec OA, which causes SpO2 to drop to 85% for a moment. The next time, I can have multiple 25sec OA's in a row, and I just get little dips of SpO2.

How can one OA cause a huge dip, but multiple OA's in a row dont?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contec CMS50F oximeter accuracy - oxygen drops with one OA more then multiple OA
It may be as simple as sometimes there is still some air left in your lungs when OSA stricks, the one time that it drops very low is when your are just about to breathe in.  Or it might be that the machine is seeing limitations, then you stop breathing and it puts it all down to an OSA?
25seconds without breathing is 25seconds, it might be mistaking you stopping breathing with a half breath still left when you stopped breathing on your own.
As you didn't show any data we can only guess!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contec CMS50F oximeter accuracy - oxygen drops with one OA more then multiple OA
(08-26-2018, 04:22 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: It may be as simple as sometimes there is still some air left in your lungs when OSA stricks, the one time that it drops very low is when your are just about to breathe in.  Or it might be that the machine is seeing limitations, then you stop breathing and it puts it all down to an OSA?
25seconds without breathing is 25seconds, it might be mistaking you stopping breathing with a half breath still left when you stopped breathing on your own.
As you didn't show any data we can only guess!

Here are some screenshots. I rearranged columns to show the O2 and Resp. Rate. 
I thought my dental appliance that moved my jaw forward would fix all obstructions, but it hasn't. I still obstruct somewhere. Maybe I'm tucking my chin down when sleeping, I dont know.
[attachment=7986]

[attachment=7987]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 64 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 612 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 132 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 797 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 658 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,013 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.