Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contec RS01 & OSCAR
Contec RS01 & OSCAR
I have a Contec RS01 "sleep apnea screen meter", and I'd like OSCAR to handle its data. The RS01 is not currently supported so I've tried to learn the file format.

The RS01 writes a file named after the recording start time in the format MMDDHHMM.BIN. The files are made of 256-byte records, one after another for each second recorded. So far, all the understood values are little endian.

Code:
<offset>   <length> <value>         <description>
0x00       2        0xFFFF          ? Seems constant.
0x02       2        0x0100-?        Record counter. Resets on power cycle.
0x04-0x66  2        -               50 2-byte values relating to the pressure sensor.
0x68       2        -               Heart rate.
0x6A       2        -               Peripheral oxygen saturation.
0x6C-0xE2  2        -               60 2-byte values relating to the photoplethysmogram.
0xE4       2        0x0400          ? Seems constant.
0xE6       8        -               ? Always zero except for in first record written since power cycle. Significantly different each time.
0xEE       2        0x0000          ? Seems constant.
0xF0       6        -               ? Seems constant.
0xF6       2        -               File creation / start timestamp: last two digits of year.
0xF8       2        0x0100-0C00     File creation / start timestamp: month.
0xFA       2        0x0100-1F00     File creation / start timestamp: day of month.
0xFC       2        0x0000-1700     File creation / start timestamp: hour [00-23].
0xFE       2        0x0000-3B00     File creation / start timestamp: minute.

I'm not sure if the pressure and SpO2 data really represent a 50 & 60Hz recording.

Unfortunately, I have to warn that it arrived with malware on it. See "Malware found on Contec RS01" in the Main Apnea Board Forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contec RS01 & OSCAR
Does the SpO2 Smart Assistant software read this device? If so, doesn't it produce a ".SpO2" file? If so, this file can be imported into OSCAR.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not tried. I'm not sure SpO2 Assistant is meant for this device. ResMon seems to be the software shown in the manual. Is there a description of the .SpO2 file format somewhere?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would look at OSCAR's source code for the CMS50 loader to find the file's data structure. I would expect an additional entry for the nasal sensor.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SP02 Assistant does not work with it. It uses its own software for data visualization and scoring called Resmon. This device provides extremely useful and high resolution data at dirt cheap price, but the inability to import data in Oscar makes it pretty useless for the apnea community.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 02:00 AM)gnluna Wrote: I have a Contec RS01 "sleep apnea screen meter", and I'd like OSCAR to handle its data. The RS01 is not currently supported so I've tried to learn the file format.

The RS01 writes a file named after the recording start time in the format MMDDHHMM.BIN. The files are made of 256-byte records, one after another for each second recorded. So far, all the understood values are little endian.
I'm not sure if the pressure and SpO2 data really represent a 50 & 60Hz recording.

Nice work so far! If you're interested in writing a loader for it, let us know and we can help point you in the right direction.

Otherwise, it'll probably have to wait a bit, since we have some pressing work already in the pipeline.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 12:18 PM)selfcoacher Wrote: SP02 Assistant does not work with it.  It uses its own software for data visualization and scoring called Resmon.  This device provides extremely useful and high resolution data at dirt cheap price, but the inability to import data in Oscar makes it pretty useless for the apnea community.

What is the fastest update rate that ResMon presents the photoplethysmogram?

(01-23-2022, 02:07 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: Nice work so far! If you're interested in writing a loader for it, let us know and we can help point you in the right direction.

Otherwise, it'll probably have to wait a bit, since we have some pressing work already in the pipeline.

Thanks. I have been working on a loader. The CMS50 loader does not look like it reads files similar to RS01 files, so that won't be a shortcut.

Can OSCAR handle a concurrent set of sensor recordings with varying update rates (eg. HR & SpO2 @ 1Hz, PPG @ 60Hz and pressure @ 50Hz)? Is this forum where the development discussion happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the fastest update rate that ResMon presents the photoplethysmogram?

How can I verify that?  Heart rate and SP02 are displayed at 1s, while Flow rate and Pleth seem to be displayed at higher resolution than that.  Let me know if I can be of any help as an Oscar loader for the RS01 will be quite an amazing feat.
Post Reply Post Reply
1second screenshot for resolution of flow curve and pleth

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2022, 06:52 AM)selfcoacher Wrote: How can I verify that? [...] Let me know if I can be of any help as an Oscar loader for the RS01 will be quite an amazing feat.

(01-25-2022, 03:14 PM)selfcoacher Wrote: 1second screenshot for resolution of flow curve and pleth

Looks like you figured it out, great! I see six distinct PPG values during the 0.1 seconds from 01:31:00.400 to 01:31:00.500, and 5 distinct pressure ("flow") values during the 0.1 seconds from 01:31:00.600 & 01:31:00.700. So it appears as though the PPG is really sampled at 60Hz, and the pressure at 50Hz.

Sawinglogz did tell me that OSCAR can handle the varied sample rates. However, I don't want to inflate anyone's expectations about my ability to create a loader or the speed I can do it. I'm hopeful though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 293 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Correct operation of Contec CMS 50 oximeters ("D" & "DL") ivashamagnus 2 594 12-26-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: ivashamagnus
  Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter dschalk 3 1,205 05-25-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  using OSCAR for Contec CMS50F oximetry ...without any CPAP data? sleepymon 2 686 02-20-2023, 04:08 AM
Last Post: sleepymon
Question OSCAR vs Contec CMS-RS01 /RS-01 or RS01/ Mercoory 10 2,238 10-25-2022, 11:01 PM
Last Post: nachumk
  Contec CMS50D1 Scarmen 2 661 08-18-2022, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Scarmen
Sad Finding My AHI using a Contec CMS50F Oximeter? w43l 18 1,732 01-10-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.