Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contec RS01 battery life
Contec RS01 battery life
Are any Contec RS01 users experiencing poor battery life?

I got my RS01* near the beginning of the year, and I was able to record at least two nights on a full charge. Now after a fresh charge, it will not record a full 9 hours.

The size 403040 LiPo battery is labelled 430mAh, which seems consistent with the capacity of similar cells advertised online. At room temperature on my desk, I observed the device shut off while recording when the voltage at the battery connector reached 3.28V. Later, I observed the device begin charging in constant-current (CC) mode at ~230mA, then ramp down below 30mA as the voltage went from 4.16 to 4.20V in ~constant-voltage (CV) mode. I think the cutoff voltage and these charging parameters are reasonable for this battery.

I think the issue is a matter of battery health, rather than some increased power demand. The CC portion of the charge lasts around two minutes, while the following CV portion is roughly an hour. In total, the device seems to draw only roughly 100 mAh before the green light comes on.

The speed of this battery deterioration is the mystery. My suspicion is that some unnoticed corner-case may badly mistreat the battery, such as:
A) Draining the battery too low. At around 3.28V, the device may actually crash, which may plausibly result in a continued sizeable current drain lasting until next charge, boot, insufficient voltage, or intervention by a battery protection circuit. If so, it would be advisable not to run the device longer than it has charge for, and to boot/charge the device soon if it ever shuts off unintentionally.
B) A (possibly sporadic) charging fault may occur, such as an excessive CC rate, CV level or failure to terminate CV. I have only measured the last two charges of my weak battery, and the cheap USB power meter I used does not have the resolution to detect under 30mA. If anyone else has a RS01 and a USB power meter, please monitor the behavior and report back!

* I started an earlier thread about malware discovered on my device. It's possible that the device was not new, but I don't think any strong conclusions could be drawn. Even if the device was not brand new, the battery deterioration in 3 months doesn't seem reasonable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup Sleep Tide 74 11,657 05-15-2022, 11:05 PM
Last Post: davidgr
  Where to buy replacement probe for Contec CMS 50F Oximeter yankees123 30 458 05-13-2022, 03:24 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Backup Battery Recommendation for High Pressure and Humidity Johnnyde94 22 2,197 05-12-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: sleepyBuzz
  new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan? cathyf 2 212 05-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Emergency battery options buddy0329 23 1,575 04-12-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Pierrec83
  battery for ResMed AirSense 11 sabaka 2 518 04-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Last Post: sabaka
  Motor life exceeded worthog 36 29,308 03-31-2022, 08:33 AM
Last Post: REMember

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.