Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 11 Power Button
AirSense 11 Power Button
This morning my CPAP started blowing with pressure at least five minutes after I turned it off. I've read the User's Guide but not the manual, will today. Are there hard-press versos light-press features? meaning, can we put it into standby mode rather than turn it off? SmartStart and Stop are "Off."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 11 Power Button
Are you talking about the cool down feature?

From the Clinicians Manual:
Device blows a small amount of air in order to avoid condensation in the air tubing.
It will stop automatically after 30 minutes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OpalRose. Yes, I'm accustomed to that but this was the high-pressure blowing, as when I turn it on at night before I can get it on. It's so loud I put it under the covers to spare my nearest neighbor. This is why the AutoStart was so appealing but it reported less than 3 hours sleep when I got 6+. Now I think of it, my machine has done some odd things...if coming on like this is unusual I'll mention it to the store.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Pamelala  I have an AirSense 11, and I'm using Auto Start and Auto Stop.  I've never had a loud sound for more than a few seconds after I take off or unclip the mask, unless I forget and try to remove the tub before cooldown has finished.  Cooldown takes about 30 minutes, I think.

It might also have happened if I disconnected the tube during cooldown -- I'm not sure.

The sound of airflow during cooldown is imperceptible to me, but your hearing might be better than mine.

You may already have noticed this, but you can tell if the machine is in cooldown mode because there will be a tiny blue snowflake in the upper right corner flashing on and off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Lucid. I'm certain what I heard is a very different animal. Cooldown is likewise imperceptible to me beyond the gentle airflow. Too, my AutoStart experiment was one night only. It's a big help to know this is uncommon!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm -- you say that you've got smart-start turned off, but what you are describing sounds just like what happens if you have smart start on and after you take it off the mask tangled up in the bedclothes when the cool down blows. Basically the cool-down bounces off the obstruction and the machine gets confused because it looks like someone is there breathing, and smart start will start the machine.

I have SmartStart on and StupidStop off, and so once the machine starts itself it won't stop itself -- OOPS! I've learned to be careful about where I drop my mask when I take it off!

I'm kind of leery about the whole thing. Even with SmartStop turned off I've had the machine turn itself off for a couple of minutes when I use a nasal mask and open my mouth. It's kind of scary because the data that the machine records right before turning off looks a lot like a very long apnea, and somehow turning the machine off DURING the apnea doesn't seem like a smart thing to do!

But, anyway, it looks to me like the machine occasionally gets into "too clever by half" mode, and yours sounds suspiciously like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same thing happen, Pamelala.  It happens a couple of time a week usually after I remove the tub and dump the water.  The instrument comes on with high pressure air.  I just turn it off.  I have not had it affect my reports that I can tell. I can't find the cause either.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience is much like Cathyf’s.  If I drop the mask in the wrong spot it may turn back on. I mounted a hook to my headboard and it took most of odd auto starts away but every once in a while it will kick on hanging free with zero obstructions the shut itself down after 30 seconds or so. 

It is definitely not cool down air flow as it sounds like a venturi coming out of a nasal mask set when set at 9.

Gremlins I suspect…
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: "REPLY with Quote" button - Don't use it if you don't have to SuperSleeper 3 13,184 03-27-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 231 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,188 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,437 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 406 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.