Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Continued difficulty with central sleep apnea
Continued difficulty with central sleep apnea
From June 2015 to December 2015 I was using a CPAP resmed machine. My AHI averaged around 10 and centrals were 6-8. I narrowed down pressure ranges over the course of 3 months and still no improvement. I was removed from the CPAP machine and started the resmed aircurve 10, vauto machine on Jan 2, 2016.

After being on the resmed aircurve 10 for the past 44 days, the numbers show the following:

AI=12.7
Central= 10.6
Obstructive=1.7
AHI=16.7

I am using autoramp, 10 minutes, and machine set to 4-20 range. The results shows a median IPAP pressure of 11.3, and max IPAP at 14.3, and a median EPAP pressure of 7.4 and max EPAP at 10.3.

Based on the results so far, it does not appear that the VPAP machine is addressing the issues with my centrals. My sleep clinic has indicated to me that a two night sleep study (in the hospital back in May 2015) only showed 2 central events at night. So my centrals were a problem with the CPAP and now appear to be a problem with the VPAP as well.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions from you more experienced people out there who have always been a great help to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Continued difficulty with central sleep apnea
There is no reason to think the vAuto will resolve central apnea, you need an ASV. You're just on the standard insurance merry-go-round of "patient must fail CPAP to use BPAP, and must fail BPAP to use ASV. You will eventually arrive there. It's ridiculous to think that central apnea is going to respond to anything but breath by breath pressure support servo ventilation. I guess it can happen, but there really ought to be a shortcut to the process.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 03:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is no reason to think the vAuto will resolve central apnea, you need an ASV. You're just on the standard insurance merry-go-round of "patient must fail CPAP to use BPAP, and must fail BPAP to use ASV. You will eventually arrive there. It's ridiculous to think that central apnea is going to respond to anything but breath by breath pressure support servo ventilation. I guess it can happen, but there really ought to be a shortcut to the process.

I agree totally Sleeprider but I have a bigger issue. In the sleep study I have little centrals and on the cpap vpap I have more centrals. Insurance companies base their determination of allowing an ASV on centrals reported from a sleep study. So then, it looks like I will have to undergo a third sleep study. that would be 3 within a year.
Post Reply Post Reply
The centrals should show up in a titration study using CPAP or BPAP pressure, however they may not be apparent in an untreated (no PAP) diagnostic study. About 15% of apnea patients have some form of complex apnea, and a small percentage of those actually develop severe complex apnea as a result of PAP. So if a study is required for coverage, then you need to be sure the study is designed to observe your CA under PAP, and can proceed to titrate ASV. Another diagnostic or simple CPAP titration won't do it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.