Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contrasting experience with PR One 560 vs A10
RE: Contrasting experience with PR One 560 vs A10
Just re-reading the thread I started I realise I am still confused. Thanks to many posters mentioning the AFLEX but the confusion I have is I thought that was for exhalation not inhalation. I am finding, even with the AFLEX at "1" the inhalation being prematurely cut short by the 560. Is this what people are talking about?

I will now go an read more about AFLEX as, again, I thought it was only application on the exhalation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2016, 01:51 AM)Dafod Wrote: Just re-reading the thread I started I realise I am still confused. Thanks to many posters mentioning the AFLEX but the confusion I have is I thought that was for exhalation not inhalation. I am finding, even with the AFLEX at "1" the inhalation being prematurely cut short by the 560. Is this what people are talking about?

I will now go an read more about AFLEX as, again, I thought it was only application on the exhalation.

Hi Dafod,

My comments were based on Figure 1 in this study, which shows that the larger the A-Flex setting, the sooner the pressure starts dropping near the end of inhalation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles...8.1083.pdf

I am assuming that the figure published in the study report is accurate.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, I am guessing I am glad to have not used the 560 type of product. I am on the aircurve and it turns out that I had to increase the time the machine allows me to complete an inhale. Default is 2 seconds, I tried 3 seconds and I could fall asleep fine, but would wake later in the night. I changed to 3.4 seconds and all was good. It felt like right at the end of my inhale someone was putting their hand over my mouth cutting off my air. I am guessing that I inhale quite slowly and even slower when asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting Vsheline,
When I look at figure 1 I don't really see the end of inhalation phase impacted in such a way that would cause the inhalation to become more difficult or really vary with different AFLEX settings in a material way - yes the pressure does drop but I would assume that would be in response to the 560 sensing the exhalation. I could be misreading the diagram though. Maybe I inhale too slowly for the algorithm? I guess it depends whether the drop in pressure is based on an algorithmic timing or the user. I haven't noticed anything akin with the A10.

The reason why I am currently using the 560 is its algorithm does seem a bit softer such that while my AHI is higher (2-3 vs 0.1- 1-5) on the 560, my mouth leaks are virtually none-existent with the lower average pressure the machine tends to treat on compared to the A10. On my A10 I have noted that many of my leaks are when it aggressively ramps up in response to a perceived apnea. I don't have this on the 560 but it does seem that it makes the inhalation shorter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding Aflex settings, I used 3 for a long time because it seemed to be the recommended setting by most people. I was experiencing a LOT of pain with my the muscles in my chest. It was so bad that it would wake me up. I realized that the pain was worse when I inhaled. It was like I was trying to suck air through a straw or something. I changed Aflex to 1 and had almost immediate relief from that pain. I was sore for a few days but after several weeks now, I no longer have that issue.

--
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 04:22 AM)Dafod Wrote: - yes the pressure does drop but I would assume that would be in response to the 560 sensing the exhalation.

I think the reduction in pressure toward the end of inhalation would be in response to the reduction in Flow, as the rate of our inhalation is tapering off.

"Flow" is the estimated rate of airflow into (positive) or out of (negative) our lungs.

During exhalation, a portion of the pressure relief depends on the rate (strength) of our exhalation; the higher the rate of the outward Flow, the lower the pressure drops. As the rate of our exhalation tapers off, the portion of pressure relief which is based on the Flow gradually goes away and the pressure rises part way, even though we are still trying to finish exhaling, and this effect is more pronounced when the A-Flex setting is larger.

During inhalation, similarly, judging from the figure it looks like a portion of the pressure boost depends on the rate (strength) of our inhalation. A high rate of inward Flow keeps the pressure higher, so, as our rate of inhalation tapers off, part of the pressure boost during inhalation goes away, even though we are still trying to finish inhaling, and this effect is more pronounced when the A-Flex setting is larger.

I think slow breathers would experience less pressure relief (drop) during exhalation and less pressure support (boost) during inhalation, than the average user. So I suppose the ResMed style of EPR may be more comfortable for users who breathe in or out less strongly than users who inhale and exhale with average strength.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RonP, welcome to Apnea Board and the forum.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 543 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,446 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,338 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 511 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,011 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.