Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling rested but waking up at 3am
Feeling rested but waking up at 3am
The first two nights of therapy I went to sleep fine, but would wake up around 3am wide awake and I basically toss and turn the rest of the night. My apap shows that I am having 4.7 events per hour. I am definitely feeling better and feel way less tired most of the day. What are some things I can do so my body gets used to sleeping haha? I tried a melatonin last night, but that didn't do much. It's like my body just get rested quickly.

Equipment:
Renamed airsense 10 auto set (pressure range 6-20). Average is around 11
Respironics Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling rested but waking up at 3am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

I get the same thing. My thoughts are that it's perfectly natural. This is not helpful, as it takes me a long time to get to sleep afterwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using sleephead? It sounds like once you get so much sleep that maybe you get more sensitive to something going on and wake up.
I tried the same things you have and finally slept longer after some small tweaks to the settings.
Your starting pressure of 6 with an average of 11 might be on the low side, the plots could confirm that.
You may be getting just enough leaking that after resting it's enough to wake you but not trigger a frown on the CPAP.
For me it turned out that even passive humidity was just a little too much, I now run my tank dry.
With some effort you may be able to drop your AHI down a notch or two and that may make your more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 10:13 AM)dfries Wrote: The first two nights of therapy I went to sleep fine, but would wake up around 3am wide awake and I basically toss and turn the rest of the night. My apap shows that I am having 4.7 events per hour. I am definitely feeling better and feel way less tired most of the day. What are some things I can do so my body gets used to sleeping haha? I tried a melatonin last night, but that didn't do much. It's like my body just get rested quickly.

Equipment:

Hi dfries,
Your pressure range of 6-20 is set pretty wide open. It could be the pressure changes waking you.

I would definetly narrow your range, but don't like to advise without seeing your AHI breakdown.

Download the Sleepyhead software and start to look at your data.
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI of 4.7, whilst technically ok being under 5, is still a little high. I'm not the expert on why this might be but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who might be able to help.

I read a book recently from an Australian sleep study expert who said it is not unusual to wake up once a night especially as we age. However, the tossing and turning after this could be indicative of some other issue which may be in addition to your sleep apnoea (e.g. anxiety, restlessness etc).

Post Reply Post Reply
Not that it helps much, but I wake at 3 or 4am, finding it impossible to get back to sleep with the mask on, I usually throw it off and attempt to get a couple more hours sleep.

Last time I saw my so called medic, I forcefully made my point that this waking could not be right, he was clearly unreceptive so I gave up.

The best nights sleep I have had for ages was after I had a few beers one afternoon, though I guess this is not a good route to go down.Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually wake up at least once a night and feel rested, can't go back to sleep. So I get up and read or watch tv until sleepy then go back to bed. Now that I have Sleepyhead software I can look at the graphs next day and often it is clear why I woke up...an apnea or a large leak just before I woke up and turned off my cpap can be seen on the graphs. It is nice to be able to understand what is going on. Am hoping that after a few months on this great machine, I will be adjusted to the point that there are fewer awakening events, and I can sleep undisturbed straight through. I am getting better and better every day.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
dfries, what time do you go to bed? Are you like me and go to bed around 1 in the morning or like my wife who is usually in bed by 9? What I'm really asking is how much sleep have you gotten by 3 in the morning. If I get more than 7 hours of sleep I wake up with a murderous headache; while anything less than 5 hours of sleep requires an afternoon nap. Oh-jeez

BTW, do us a favor by completing your profile. I had a momentary "what gives?" when I started reading your post. Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry to much about waking up during the night using CPAP/APAP.
As long as you feel you have had a good nights sleep and feel refreshed that is all that matters.

Think about it, a lot of people wake up during the night and they do not have Sleep Apnea (Apnoea).
I will say though it can be annoying when you can't get back to sleep! Rolleyes

Dryness wakes me up and that is with the humidifier full up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 10:13 AM)dfries Wrote: The first two nights of therapy I went to sleep fine, but would wake up around 3am wide awake and I basically toss and turn the rest of the night. My apap shows that I am having 4.7 events per hour. I am definitely feeling better and feel way less tired most of the day. What are some things I can do so my body gets used to sleeping haha? I tried a melatonin last night, but that didn't do much. It's like my body just get rested quickly.

Equipment:

I would narrow your pressure a little to make sure that's not the cause if 11 is your average try 9 - 20, FYI Sunday's are my hardest nights, even though I go down well I think my mind just won't rest thinking about the week ahead..

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 89 2 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 257 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 287 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.