Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cool or "passover" Humidification
Cool or "passover" Humidification
I have a BPS C-100 battery pack to use while camping. It says it isn't for use with heated humidification or heated hose--I understood that when I bought it.. It also says using cool or passover humidification will not reduce expected run time. I find nothing in my PR manuals for the power unit or humidified about cool humidification. Can I use it on my machine? If so, how? I'm trying out not using the humidifier tonight for the first time but am looking for a backup if I can't get along without some humid air!

Thanks for any fairly quick responses. We head out in the trailer Thursday morning--no internet for a couple of days.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cool or "passover" Humidification
HI sidesleeper . On the PR it is easy to turn off the humidifier and heated hose by just turning the control knob counter clockwise until the 0 on the indicator lights 0. By doing that you will be using what is called passover humidification or some will call it cool humidification. I actually use passover humidification a lot in the summer when I horseback ride in the mountains of West Virginia, also using battery power. Hope this helps. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to know for sure get a Kill A Watt EZ Meter for $28 from the big box and plug your CPAP into it and then play with the settings. For my Resmed I turn the temperature down to 61 degrees and the humidity off, then fill the tank with water, sometimes I even add a few ice cubes.

There is some disagreement if setting a CPAP for a low temperature just keeps the heater form coming on until the temperature drops to that level or if the unit can actually cool the tank as well as heat it. One will consume battery power and the other won't.

Personally I would want to know for sure before I went off grid and maybe ran out of power before the night was up, but that's me belt and suspenders.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand by reading my manual, the control knob just controls the heated hose temperature. I would think I would have to go into the humidifier settings and turn it off. I will poke around in the settings tomorrow--I know how to get to the clinician settings. Thanks for your replies, guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will provide some humidifcation with just the heat turned off, but it doesn't have much surface area. Respironics makes a bigger cold humidifier box that you plug the machines hose into and then another hose out to the mask. Google "REMstar Passover Humidifier" for it. Several online suppliers sell it. In no AC, battery power situations, I intend to just go without humidification, but it would be cool to have one, just in case. I think it would be more effective than just turning the System ONE heater to -0-.

Oh, and I am not sure that just turning the system settings to "0" completely turns off the humidification. IIRC you have to take the machine out of the System ONE Humidification mode and set it back into "Classic" humidification mode? I don't have the clinician manuals handy....

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I did fine with no humidification last night--and had the lowest AHI, 0.5, that I've had in a long time. I usually have to sleep on my back part of the night due to shoulder problems, and it is possible I did stay on my side last night. I didn't have the congestion problems I thought I would have without humidification.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2016, 02:40 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I did fine with no humidification last night--and had the lowest AHI, 0.5, that I've had in a long time. I usually have to sleep on my back part of the night due to shoulder problems, and it is possible I did stay on my side last night. I didn't have the congestion problems I thought I would have without humidification.

I am of the belief that the benefits of humidification are overblown for many users. I do quite well when traveling with no humidity. Used to forgo humidification most of the time in the summer. Currently run humidification at lowest level - most nights don't see much if any evaporation from chamber water levels.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SideSleeper
I hope you have a great time on your camping trip.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all, for answering. I'm going to give the no-humidification thing a try all week. Got my C-100 battery pack charged up--haven't used it before--and we'll see what happens for 3 nights out in the trailer. We have a generator to charge the C-100 and the trailer batteries--my husband runs his RedMed off of them through a cigarette lighter type plug.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may find that the humidity level (ambient RH) will be somewhat higher if you will be camping where the foliage and trees are more abundant. I doubt you'll miss the humidifier. Enjoy your outing adventure!

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,268 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  DreamStation Sleep Therapy Humidification Options (PDF) SwirlySauce 3 911 09-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: zellem
  Anyone Using 8 Sleep Pod Pro Cover to Stay Cool in Bed? AndyB 0 836 06-21-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Vitera humidification issue (?) jtmAZ 8 825 06-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  [Equipment] Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset - how do I turn off humidification? Linear Thinker 5 2,115 05-27-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Linear Thinker
  cool cpap air by freezing humidifier or something eles? watertrails 1 1,029 05-11-2022, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] P2H Humidification Mask to replace humidifier TaxFreeira 1 570 07-08-2021, 08:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.