Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Correlation AHI and Mask Fit
Correlation AHI and Mask Fit
I am looking for the some information to help me interpret my readings for the last 2 weeks.  My mask is AirFit F20 and the machine RemStar Auto AFlex System One.   During the past two weeks I have had an average AHI of 3.65 and and average mask fit of 32.8.  Intuitively it seems that both these numbers cannot be accurate.  How do I interpret these two numbers?  Is there a correlation between AHI and Mask Fit; what is the margin of error in the machine readings; how do you know if the machine is malfunctioning - my provider can only check the pressure.

I do not want to get into the weeds;  I would just like to understand - big picture - the relationship between these two measurements.  In regard to my mask fit,  I do know that my lower jaw has a tendency to drop dramatically (I have tried a chin strap), and I am sure the lower margin of the mask gets disturbed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Correlation AHI and Mask Fit
Getting into "THE WEEDS" is the only way to make a correlation. Your System One Auto CPAP is supported by the free #Sleepyhead software, which can show you exactly what is happening in terms of leaks, your respiration and events and the machine response. In general, leaks reduce the capability of the machine to detect and respond to events, but they also disturb your sleep and may cause arousals and some events related to that. Give the software a try, and we can probably significantly reduce events by optimizing some settings.

Your System One machine may be getting close to a replacement time. Insurance usually will replace machines on a 5-year interval. When that time comes, you might want to consider a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her. It would probably drop your events to less than 1.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

The best way to see what is happening is to look at your Sleepyhead data.  This will give you info down to the breath by breath basis when it is needed.  The OTA info is a summary that is designed to encourage compliance and provide minimal info,

Your AHI is 3.65, what is the break down of your events.  Different types of events require different treatment and Sleepyhead will show you those.
See my signature to download and organize your charts.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your comments.  I don't get a replacement machine until 2020.  It's a dinosaur, for sure.  What settings can be changed?
Post Reply Post Reply
How would you describe the different types of events and different treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2019, 11:01 AM)Potamantha Wrote: Thank you for your comments.  I don't get a replacement machine until 2020.  It's a dinosaur, for sure.  What settings can be changed?

On your machine, the settings that can be changed are the mode (auto or CPAP), the minimum and maximum pressure and comfort settings like AFlex and Humidity.  Knowing what settings should be changed means knowing more about your needs.

Does your machine have a SD card in the slot in the top-center of the flow generator?
Do you have a PC or Mac that can be used to install #Sleepyhead?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2019, 11:04 AM)Potamantha Wrote: How would you describe the different types of events and different treatment?

Obstructive Apneas
Hypopneas
Central Apneas
Mask Leaks
Mouth Breathing
RERA
Hypoxia
Determining which class of machine would best fit your apnea

For various treatments read the contents of my first link in my signature.  That should get you started
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,244 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,532 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Correlation between pressures and AHI Bluesv6 2 463 03-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Correlation to Keto- AHI has skyrocketed robtheironguy 56 4,114 03-24-2022, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ASV Epap vs PS correlation? Moemah123 10 2,530 02-21-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.