Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Correlation to Keto- AHI has skyrocketed
RE: Correlation to Keto- AHI has skyrocketed
That's pretty good, I average between 1 and 2 a night too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice, yea I think I've found my settings and a couple more nights of stabilization then I'll play a bit with Intermittent fasting and then keto later to see if I get any of the same influences on my numbers
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah any single digit number of centrals in a night is perfectly fine and when having that few there is a good chance that many of them are not even real. If you hold breath at any point in the night (a common example is when changing sleep position) the machine flags those as apnea (usually central apnea).

I don't usually consider centrals something worth worrying/doing something about unless they are over 3 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to close this out. Had an appt with a Respirologist and she theorized that my body notably reduces CO2 production when limiting Carbohydrate intake- be it fasting or Ketogenic diet approach. It is absolutely scientifically recognized that ketogenic diet does lower CO2 in the body, just for me it significantly affects my overnight breathing regardless of the CPAP intervention.

I have since experimented with doing "intermittent fasting" but supplementing with a slow release carbohydrate during the "fasting" period and I have not experienced the same negative outcome overnight.

The net is- if you are trying either fasting, intermittent fasting or ketogenic diet and you require a CPAP; pay attention to ensure you are not having adverse affects.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a followup, I started a keto diet on Jan 30th after seeing your post. I was trying to see if I could provide any correlation to your experience. Other than a 23 pound loss and the usual leg cramps, I haven't had any negative effects. My sleep data doesn't reflect any difference between pre-keto and during keto. Sorry, I couldn't provide any helpful information for you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ha ha! I would still call that a very successful experiment! Thanks for letting me know and congrats on the weight loss.
Post Reply Post Reply
This does make a person curious about how many people induce central apnea with a keto diet but don't know about it because they don't monitor breathing with CPAP like you do.

I have never done the keto diet and personally think people shouldn't leave their body in ketosis since it isn't how our body is designed to function and rather is a backup mechanism to deal with times of starvation. This thread has further cemented my opinion on this and I think you could go as far as saying it may be plausible that some people could give themselves heart issues like atrial fibrillation (a known side effect of long term central apnea) if they use the keto diet extensively and are predisposed to this issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,206 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Correlation between pressures and AHI Bluesv6 2 462 03-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  My AHI numbers Have Skyrocketed, Why? charrob 1 534 01-11-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV Epap vs PS correlation? Moemah123 10 2,528 02-21-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Temperature of the sleep environment and Apnea correlation? CorruptAlligator 1 656 05-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  EPR setting correlation with sleep stages sleepyp 2 938 05-22-2020, 04:35 AM
Last Post: sleepyp
  Correlation AHI and Mask Fit Potamantha 6 1,476 01-27-2019, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.