Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CorruptAlligator - CPAP Problems
RE: CorruptAlligator - CPAP Problems
Something I notice about my wakings is that it happens when the pressure curves downward.  Anybody know why this is the case? I know my AHI is low here, but barely got any sleep. 3-4 hrs? This was the worst day in terms of getting myself to fall sleep. I layed in bed for hrs trying to fall asleep. The constant pressure areas were the times when I couldn't fall asleep. So, this is the case of AHI is not an indicator of quality sleep. Also, note the pressure range. This night I changed min to 7, and later changed max to 15 from 12 (during the constant pressure period).

Also, look on the left where pressure rises, there is no event in that period. Why is the pressure rising then? Now, with this thought in mind, let's go back to the circle area. Could it be that the machine doesn't accurately detect events, and I'm actually having an obstruction then and the machine is lowering the pressure, and I wake up?

Should get my machine changed out from my DME? Could it be a faulty machine? Or should there be a firmware update?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your therapy seems to be in a good place at this point. I can't speculate on the awakenings, but the fragmentation of your sleep has been steadily improving. I don't think it has to do with the lowering of pressure, or reduction in flow limitations that allows that to occur. Night arousals are a normal part of sleep, and when I find myself awakened for no apparent reason at night, I do as little as possible to make that worse. I stay in bed and don't break therapy. The fact you are stopping and removing the mask for several minutes makes the sleep disruption more significant, and it might be less disruptive is you just made yourself comfortable and go back to sleep. If you are getting up to use the bathroom, then that is the reason for the arousal, and not CPAP pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, should I just keep it at 5 -15, and see if it improves? Actually, I should make a correction, the one above (OSCAR screen shot above) I changed minimum to 7, and later changed max to 15 from 12. So, perhaps I should cap the max to 12 still, and keep the min at 5? The night I had worst sleep was when it was at 7 - 12.

I was struggling so much with getting back to sleep that night that I put the max pressure at 15 (thinking that would prevent low pressure from rising while I'm awake so I can fall asleep better). Maybe that wasn't necessary, but I should have changed my min only.

IMO, I think adding pulse oximeter for machine to react would be much more accurate. Because, do we know if these events are actual events that causes low oxygen levels? This also depends on how accurate the oximeter really is. Because the reading can be artifacts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't over-think this. You did great at 7-15 pressure with EPR 3, and your pressure does not exceed 12.0. Leave it alone. Nothing in your results suggest you should have a concern for a pulse oximeter, and there is no reason to tie a CPAP algorithm to SpO2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It didn't exceed 12 because my max was set to 12 during the duration I believe. And then I switched to 15 max after I woke because couldn't go back to sleep. This is why OSCAR thinks the pressure was at 15, but part of the duration was 12.

Settings I will try now is Auto ramp at 5 with 7 - 12 range and see how that goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like 7 to 12 setting, with autoramp from 5 cleared up my CA.  So, it was large up swings that were causing it.  Limiting to max of 12 did it.  

Hopefully, duration of sleep will improve over time.  This is the longest sleep I've had without waking up.  I'm also no longer waking up with high heart rate like I used to.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice! Over 7-hours of continuity is a major improvement and your pressure is certainly more stable. CA can be related to arousals as our breathing when awake is much more erratic, and any tossing and turning can result in pauses in breathing or breath holds. Glad this is working better for you, and I'm confident your sense of better sleep will soon follow. The next thing to work on is reducing or eliminating ramp time. You might want to try Auto for time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the win. We can't let you off easy though, repeat that many days and build a nice trend.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers look good, but I don't feel well rested. Perhaps it will take a few more days to get the well rested feel.

I must have made a mistake with the ramp setting. I was meaning for auto, but OSCAR says it was on 45min setting. We can see that as soon as I feel asleep the pressure ramped up rapidly so it seems like this 45min is cut short if it detects sleep. So, I don't know what auto does.

Also, there is evidence of ResMed trying to make their machines being sucessful in therapy. It is very biased scoring. OSCAR shows my number was .26, but ResMed rounded that value down to .2 They clearly biased to make the scoring to be better than it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I think that's the concept of Auto Ramp, it can be time based as well, but if you give it breath patterns it perceives as sleep, it nixes the Ramp.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,007 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,839 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.