Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cost of sleep study - Humana
RE: Cost of sleep study - Humana
(08-02-2018, 04:56 PM)sheepless Wrote: but if you want a prescription from them and you want to run it through insurance they'll likely require a night in the sleep center for titration. at least that's how it worked for me with premera insurance.

It seems there is a lot of variation in how different insurances handle xPAP. After doing the home study, I saw a Pulmonologist who wrote my prescription for an APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a high deductible plan. I've done two sleep studies and had to pay them both out of pocket. I'm with BCBS, so your mileage may vary.

First Sleep study charge was $2150 and I paid $1099 after insurance adjustment.
Second Sleep study charge was $2320 and I paid $1155 after insurance adjustment.

So about half on each of them. The second one was a bit more expensive because it was a titration study.

And of course, when I asked the lab if it would be covered, they said - yes 100%! But I forgot that did not mean I wouldn't have to pay my deductible, so it was a bit of a rude awakening on my end... Most expensive hotel room I've ever had, but I think it was totally worth it.

Hope this helps!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, today we finally got the report from the home study. Mild OSA with an AHI of 11.9. They want to schedule a titration lab study, and when I protested that we were hoping just to get an APAP and go from there, they said the study says he is not a candidate for an APAP because of significant hypoxemia (SPo2 less than 90% for 14.4% of the night). Does this sound right to you guys?
Post Reply Post Reply
Mild AHI and severe hypoxemia is very possible with severe flow limitation that does not show up as apnea. I think the titration study is a good idea, especially if you can discuss it ahead of time to try bilevel. Read this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

APAP would be a great choice for obstructive apnea, but it may not be ideal when AHI is low and hypoximia is high. I would go for the study and ask the doctor if they will look at bilevel treatment or if it is a simple CPAP titration. You want the study to specify to proceed to bilevel if SpO2 is less than 92%. Resolving apnea, but not solving the low blood O2 levels is unacceptable. Make sure the doctor has ordered a study to ensure SpO2 objectives are met. In other words, you should support your doctor's order for a titration study, provided that study evaluates CPAP and moves to BiPAP if oxygen is not good. Without this specific order, the technicians will only do a CPAP titration until apnea is resolved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm jealous of the prices posted. My first sleep study:

$6117.00 with Cigna discount of $1835.10. Had to pay $1993.20 out of pocket since I had to meet my deductible. Insurance covered 75% once my deductible was met.

Slightly more for the second sleep study since it was with the cpap machine. Doctor billed separately too for what I assume was reading the results. Those two charges were $2000 but most was discounted. So all in all, was billed a total of around $14,500 for two sleep studies. DME charged $3500 for my Resmed Airsense 10 with humidifier.

The US needs some serious healthcare reform.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holy cow, Fozzy! I was told 2,700.00 for the in lab study not counting any Humana discounts. I got the EOB today for the home study - they billed 700.00, and about 250.00 was written off. I agree about US health care. This is not sustainable...

Sleeprider, thanks so much, that is great information to have!
Post Reply Post Reply
HIPAA (federal law) give you the rights to your records. They cannot be ransomed for another appointment. Here are your rights: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profession...index.html

Here is how to file a complaint online https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html

Many lawyers would enjoy talking to you if you follow these steps and don't get a response.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 244 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 534 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 66 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.