Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cost of sleep study - Humana
RE: Cost of sleep study - Humana
Wow that seems bogus IMO. Feel sorry for you regarding their incompetence. Imagine a car lot saying they can't tell you what they'd allow for a trade in until a regional correspondence office in 5 business days informs you what's allowed. Major fail for customer support. I could be way off base, but how can they expect you to believe they don't know what they'll accept as sleep study charges?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me offer a few alternative suggestions. Your husband has plenty of symptoms for a doctor to prescribe CPAP therapy and auto-titration based on his symptoms alone. This could be done by is primary physician. Working with your doctor you need to detail the physical symptoms, your observations as his spouse concerning snoring, breathing cessations and anything else. Combined with his physical characteristics (large neck size, obstructed airway and symptoms) your doctor could simply bypass the diagnostic sleep study and prescribe an auto CPAP. It is quite easy from that point to buy an auto CPAP from any of the many online suppliers for much less than the Humana DMEs and save a lot of money.

Alternatively many online DMEs like Supplier #30 offer full home sleep study and prescription services that will result in the prescription. They work with many insurance companies, so check them out. Even if you are covered "out-of-network" with a $4000 deductible you will still be thousands ahead.

All you need is a prescription. You can get it from your primary doctor or an online company like Supplier #30. With an auto CPAP like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, self titration is easy, and this forum can guide and coach your husband through the process. Your total out of pocket including home sleep test, prescription, and equipment will be close to $1000, and a DME like Supplier #30 will bill your insurance so at least you get credited for the deductible. This alternative is less than 25% of what you have been considering. There is no reason for your husband not to get his life back and improve his health.

One final option exists. Look in your local and nearby Craigslist, or use Search Tempest for CPAP machines. You will often find the Airsense 10 Autoset new at less than $500 and used machines for considerably less with no prescription required. There are some risks in buying this way, and you will be mostly on your own except for forum support, but at least you will have treatment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like the run around and I bet not all that information is needed. Just a way to reject the claim. Sleeprider has some good advice.

(08-01-2018, 12:08 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Imagine a car lot saying they can't tell you what they'd allow for a trade in until a regional correspondence office in 5 business days informs you what's allowed. Major fail for customer support.

Sorry to move off-topic but I had a dealer try to tell me something similar. Paraphrasing: "We can't tell you what we'll give you for your trade in until we see what we can sell it at auction for." Umm... Dont-know I went to another dealer.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thank you so much for those suggestions - I will show this to my husband.  I just talked with the person at Sleepworks who was trying to check into things for me, and she spoke with the billing person at the hospital, who said the information has to come from Humana.  Of course.   

Attached is a copy of what we did at home with the pulse oximeter.  Maybe since the family doctor said it was diagnostic he would be willing to just prescribe - that would be great!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Once again, Sleeprider has the best solution.

FWIW this "we're not able to tell you the price until you commit" actually seems to happen more often than expected. I was about to become a JB Hunt lease driver in '08, when my roommate asked for the prices of the used truck tractors. Answer was "we can't tell you until you sign". Our reply "I won't sign it if I don't see numbers". Oh sorry Dave, you no longer qualify for a job here, you live too far away from our terminal... Thinking-about

Best wishes that you can make some sort of progress Renetrips.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave!  I'm feeling a little more hopeful.  :Smile I have run into this before with pharmacy stuff - "We can't tell you how much it is until we submit it".  It's ridiculous.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may have to wait until after the pre-authorization to get the amount they will allow and what you will pay.

Good luck - insurance is often confusing and frustrating!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just heard from the nurse at Humana - the lab study is denied, he will need a home study, which is great with us if treatment can be ordered from that.  If it can and if he uses an APAP, does he still need a lab study for titration?  Might we actually get by with only doing the home study?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can do a self titration with the APAP.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
but if you want a prescription from them and you want to run it through insurance they'll likely require a night in the sleep center for titration. at least that's how it worked for me with premera insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,637 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 207 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 286 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 414 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 256 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.