Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cough and cpap
Cough and cpap
I'm on medicine for bronchitis and struggling with my Amara View mask when coughing. Should I turn off the humidifier? My AHI was 10 last night. It usually reads 0.3-0.7. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cough and cpap
Humidifier settings should be comfortable, so whatever works for you. Normally a cough is improved with higher humidity and aggravated with dry air. What settings are you using?

AHI of 10...what medications are you using, what type of apnea events? You need to look at the data and screen out events that are not during sleep. Maybe post some data, we can help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it a productive cough or a dry cough?

Dry cough responds better to dextromethorphan (over the counter cough suppressant) and guafenesin (ex Mucinex - over the counter mucolytic to loosen phlegm, if it won't come up)

Wet cough, especially if profuse, may respond to diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) to dry it up somewhat and may also reduce the frequency.

For something severe enough to see your doc, benzonatate sodium (aka Tessalon Perle), helps calm the stretch receptors in the lungs and may be helpful for the dry cough. If the cough is so bad you cannot sleep, hydrocodone in a small amount, may help suppress the cough as well as sedating ... which may cause more apnea.

(Things I learned during the years I spent working on a drug abuse hotline, plus dealing with cough-variant asthma; Discuss your options with your doctor/provider!)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I do not have a working computer just an iPhone . Meds are Zithromax, levalbuterol inhaler, prednisone (just finished 3 days) Humidity Level 4, Epr 3,Temp Units F, Pressure is 11.1. I was only on 3 hours last night and AHI was 9.9. I could not keep the mask on with all the coughing.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the composition of the AHI? Is it CA, OA or H? Also, your coughing is not sleeping. You may register events due to this illness that has nothing to do with sleep apnea. A humidity level of 4 is mid-range, and I am going to assume it was all good before you had the bronchitis. The cough will pass, and things will be comfortable again. This is not the time to push the panic button and start making changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can't sleep for the coughing, discuss an Rx of the Tessalon Perle/benzonatate sodium with your doc.

When I have a flare of cough-variant asthma, you can hear the barking a hundred feet away, easily, as I sing and thus cough quite effectively ... if only there were something to cough up! This medication neither dries nor moistens the cough, it just helps make it a lot less trigger happy so that fewer things set it off.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cough while using pjhiett 1 551 01-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough legrunt 6 1,048 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: legrunt
  Could humidifier cause a cough? StevesSp 4 935 07-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: factor
  [CPAP] Low oxygen on CPAP/hearth palpitation and cough + Oscar reading merlinakis 19 2,483 06-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Last Post: merlinakis
  Cough since starting PAP? Worrying? tierdal 6 791 04-23-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sore throat/cough with humidifier Davidacarrick 5 1,136 08-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Davidacarrick
  Trouble tolerating CPAP while sick (cough, congestion, nose bleeds) ColoradoMom 12 2,893 01-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.