Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cough since starting PAP? Worrying?
Cough since starting PAP? Worrying?
I've had a cough the last few weeks since starting CPAP. No phlegm or anything. I am not conjested.. just randomly coughing.

This normal? Worrying? should I go to doctor? Or possibly just a coincidence?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cough since starting PAP? Worrying?
Any thoughts here? Sorry, its just not going away and I am worried. It doubt it is any kind of mold/bacteria..my machines not even a month old at this point. I read humidity could be the culprit and raised my from 5 to 7...but I really dont know what to do here and my doc is basically MIA since my study results/perscription
Post Reply Post Reply
If you suspect your humidifier, then turn it down and see if the cough clears up.

If it doesn't clear up, then it might be time to see your doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a long lasting cough and found I was Allergic to a new medication. Have you started new meds?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Naw no new meds... Well actually I did start some prednisone for an inflammatory issue... I wonder if that can lead to coughing.

The timing was just weird and wanted to check if this was a cpap side effect
Post Reply Post Reply
I was on Prednisone for several years, which is far longer than advisable. Regardless, it never caused any coughing with me and I've got COPD/Asthma. I realize we're each a bit different, but Prednisone and coughing are probably not related.

Ask your pharmacist or primary doctor about coughing, CPAP, and Prednisone.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coughing can arise from seasonal allergies, irritation from inhaled irritants, congestion, post-nasal drip, illness, the possibilities are endless, but you have landed on CPAP therapy because of a coincidence. CPAP therapy could result in a minor cough for any of the reasons above, if humidity is out of balance, or because your cough reflex is somewhat suppressed during the night with the positive pressure. From your description, I have a hard time elevating this to the need to see the doctor, but your choice. Considering that pollen is at a very high level where you live, I would point to that as more likely.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 235 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Am I worrying for nothing? CA during nap. Keicereal 4 309 12-30-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 636 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 477 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.