Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Could cough be seen as centrals
Could cough be seen as centrals
Just curious if a mild cough could be interpreted by the cpap as a central event? Read another post and realized how little I really understood centrals. I get a mix of clear and obstructive in my AHI and just got curious. No real alarm from me yet as AHI has been low so far 3.8 (10 clear, 14 obstructive, 10 hyponea) 1.2 (3 clear, 1 obstructive, 6 hyponea) last night data not on my phone yet. Without graphs I know it is hard to tell how severe but I know I've woken up with an irritated throat last three nights a couple of times and had a cough (odd sensation with a Nasal pillow...)

Enough musing on that now, probably ought to do some work so I don't get fired. Just learning so much and trying to digest it... Thank you all for the input so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Could cough be seen as centrals
I don't think so, an apnea is defined as at least 10 seconds without breathing.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
No, don't think so, but it is a strange feeling to cough with airflow coming at you. Sad
Just wait till you have to sneeze!

We tend to use the terms Clear Airway and Centrals interchangeably. For all purposes here and what we see on the software, we label it as clear airway events.

Central Sleep Apnea - A period of at least 10 seconds without airflow, during which no respiratory effort is evident. (meaning your brain forgot to tell you to breath.)

Apnea - Cessation of breathing for 10 or more seconds during sleep. There are two basic types of sleep apnea: Obstructive Apnea is caused by a closure of the air passage despite efforts to breathe; Central Apnea is a lack of effort to breathe. Obstructive Sleep Apnea is by far the most common type. True apnea during wakefulness is extremely rare.

Other things to know:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I cough, SleepyHead classifies this action as a snore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2016, 03:39 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Just wait till you have to sneeze!

Sneezing with a FFM on? Eww, thanks for the visual!

Oh-jeez
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I coughed a few times last night. Nothing to indicate this in my Sleepyhead data this morning.

In fact I was surprised and happy to see my best results ever. Just one hypopnea for the whole night. AHI .12, Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2016, 05:34 PM)cands Wrote: I coughed a few times last night. Nothing to indicate this in my Sleepyhead data this morning.

In fact I was surprised and happy to see my best results ever. Just one hypopnea for the whole night. AHI .12, Smile

That's great! It seems like you have your therapy dialed in pretty good.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 388 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,801 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 409 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 692 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,089 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.