Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Could it be so..........
Could it be so..........
I changed masks 18 days ago.

Prior to that I was using a ResMed Mirage FX Nose Mask and was getting varying leakage readings. Some as bad as 35-40% leakage.

I changed to an PR Wisp and for the past 18 days have had "0%" leakage.

I am wondering if this could be correct as I have read that 0% leakage is rare, let alone 18 consecutive nights.

Could something in the CLINICAL SETUP need to be changed?Huh

Any input will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Could it be so..........
No, because they are both the same type of mask, as in they are both nasal masks.

It could just be the Wisp fits you much better than the FX. But it would be odd for it to be reporting 0%.

Unplug the machine, wait a minute, plug it back in. See if it still says 0% the next morning.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2014, 03:31 PM)Shinny Wrote: Could something in the CLINICAL SETUP need to be changed?Huh

Any input will be appreciated.
Respironcis masks have a "System One" resistance control settings
System One resistance 0 X1 X2 X3 X4 X5

% leakage refer to % of time spent in large leak, during large leak the machine cannot determine apnea events accurately

ResMed machines report unintentional leak and define unacceptable unintentional leak above than 24 L/m

Respironcis machines report total leak ... unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that what Zonk is trying to tell you without actually saying it is as follows:

If you are reading the actual % leakage, it probbly is the % of time that there is major leakage.
If that is the case then it is not unusual to have 0% 18 days in a row if you have found a mask that gives you a very good seal. Just lean back and enjoy.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah! So it isn't saying the leak is 30L or 30% over, but 30 percent of the night, it was over the limit. Noted for future reference.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
PRS1 machines show total leak. Mask vent plus leaks. When the total leak is big enough around 70 on the SH graph itll flag what it calls large leak.

They do have resistance settings for Respronics masks but that doesnt change the way the PR machines look at leaks or flag them.

If your showing a 0 leak with a PR machine something aint right. It would at least show the mask vent rate as leak.

Your ok until the machine says your in large leak. That will be about 70lpm total leak.

Itll show you large lak on its own info screen if your not using software though I believe you are.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think Payton A's response was great and I'll take his advise and enjoy it.Smile

Thanx 2 all for responding.Thanks

(11-28-2014, 10:07 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I think that what Zonk is trying to tell you without actually saying it is as follows:

If you are reading the actual % leakage, it probbly is the % of time that there is major leakage.
If that is the case then it is not unusual to have 0% 18 days in a row if you have found a mask that gives you a very good seal. Just lean back and enjoy.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Post Reply Post Reply
For most folks the biggest factor in CPAP success is finding the right mask.
Since we're all different, what works for one person may not work for another.
Some folks go through a few masks before finding the one that's comfortable and works.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2014, 01:06 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If your showing a 0 leak with a PR machine something aint right. It would at least show the mask vent rate as leak.

If you look underneath the events breakdown on the left side of the detail tab, it says,"Time over leak redline". If one has had a good night it will be 0.000%. At least this is the way that it works for my Resmed machine.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shinny,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.