Could these be RERAs?
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: Could these be RERAs?
(02-05-2016 04:33 PM)rhodesengr Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:38 PM)EuroGuy Wrote:  When we look at your Flow Rate, at 00:28:45 the peaks have flatter tops until just after the yellow RE flag.
It would be interesting to see if that pattern of flattening corresponds with your other RERAs

I see the flattening. When i get home from work, I can look at the other events and expand the scale to look for the flattening.

I guess what I still don't understand is how the machine detects an arousal. How does it know if you are awake or asleep? maybe from the breathing rate?

Sure it is possible I changed position. No way to know for sure though.

I think SleepyHead tends to mark RERA events several breaths prior to when the RERA actually ends with recovery breaths. The machine interprets the recovery breaths as indicating an arousal.

Unless the criteria for scoring an hypopnea are also met, a RERA is scored when the machine sees a period of at least 10 seconds with "flattening" occurring during inhalation (the positive portion of the Flow waveform starts normally but tends to reach a premature low peak and suddenly decrease slightly and, during the remainder of the inhalation, level off or gradually decrease) followed by suddenly larger recovery breaths.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 05:16 PM by vsheline.)
02-06-2016 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RERAs and Sleep Quality holden4th 6 371 10-13-2016 03:58 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Rental Airsense 10 - RERAs, Purchased - None?? DruiD 12 651 07-23-2016 10:26 AM
Last Post: DruiD
  RERAs - first time poster JJ7801 6 677 06-16-2016 05:49 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  RERAs do you trust your machine ? dwd1249 9 1,007 12-20-2015 08:30 PM
Last Post: sonicboom