Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Could these be RERAs?
Could these be RERAs?
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on my SleepyHead data.

I've been on CPAP for about 6 weeks now. My AHI is always below 1.0, with negligible leaks, but I don't feel any less tired at all.

My Resmed machine doesn't report RERAs, but from my amateur research efforts, I'm starting to suspect that I am getting a lot of RERAs during the night, which is the cause of my symptoms remaining.

I have lots of brief sleep arousals (100+ per night). I suddenly wake up feeling startled, then fall back to sleep again within seconds.

Do the attached screenshots look like possible RERA waveforms to you? I get these all through the night, sometimes as close as 30 seconds apart. My Resmed isn't flagging them as anything at all.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Could these be RERAs?
I can't tell when the A10 you have was manufactured but I have an A10 and it reports RERAs which I can see in both ResScan and Sleepyhead. I'm no expert in graph interpretation but it is certainly possible these could be RERAs.

I also recommend you activate UF 1 and UF2 readings in sleepyhead. These are defined as episodes that are less than 10 seconds so don't officially qualify as apneas but nonetheless could interrupt your sleep. Look under the preferences tab. Once set refresh your data and you can look back and see what you find from last nights for these graphs.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, try clicking on "events" just to the right of "details" in the upper left. Here is a shot of mine showing RERAs logged by my machine. Note that where the RERA is flagged in the flow graph, it does not look all that unusual. I have been wondering what the machine is looking for to define a RERA.

You asked if your data looked like RERAs were happening and I am saying it seems unclear what constitutes a RERA in the data other than the machine saying there was one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your messages.

rhodesengr, is there a flow limitation associated with that RERA event (if your machine shows that)?
Post Reply Post Reply
well the event id flagged right on the flow graph and I don't see any particular flow limitation. It right on a peak that looks like the others. I think I read somewhere that the machines detect a RERA buy the breathing frequency. In my graph, the breathing rate near the REAR is faster than a bit later. You can see that in my plot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I have been wondering what the machine is looking for to define a RERA.

I was reading an excerpt from the book Atlas of Polysomnography, and it says that Flow Limitation Arousals (FLA) correspond very closely with the RERA index. So in the absense of esophageal monitoring, monitoring flow limitation can be used as a substitute.

"Such events are characterized by flow limitation (flattening) over several breaths, followed by an arousal and sudden, but often temporary, restoration of a normal-round airflow profile."

When we look at your Flow Rate, at 00:28:45 the peaks have flatter tops until just after the yellow RE flag.
It would be interesting to see if that pattern of flattening corresponds with your other RERAs

00:29:45 could be you moving position. This is generally what the waveform looks like if someone moves position:
osahelp.com/rollover.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty sure that the detection of RERA's does not happen on Resmed machines, but does on the PR machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 01:38 PM)EuroGuy Wrote: When we look at your Flow Rate, at 00:28:45 the peaks have flatter tops until just after the yellow RE flag.
It would be interesting to see if that pattern of flattening corresponds with your other RERAs

I see the flattening. When i get home from work, I can look at the other events and expand the scale to look for the flattening.

I guess what I still don't understand is how the machine detects an arousal. How does it know if you are awake or asleep? maybe from the breathing rate?

Sure it is possible I changed position. No way to know for sure though.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 02:00 PM)PoolQ Wrote: I am pretty sure that the detection of RERA's does not happen on Resmed machines, but does on the PR machines.

The most recent versions of the "Resmed Airsense 19 Autoset" machines *do* report RERAs. So does the "Resmed Airsense 19 Autoset for Her"
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The machine can't tell whether your asleep or awake.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RERAs, RDI vs AHI in Oscar, flow limitations CPAPveteran 5 786 02-03-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SomniumSusurrator
Question [Diagnosis] Why are my RDI/RERAs so High? rc102177 2 326 01-14-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Increased RERAs Uzupan 0 364 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  RERAs do you trust your machine ? dwd1249 10 2,957 06-25-2023, 12:43 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  [Treatment] RERAs and Hypopneas Zandervexed 4 643 04-08-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Beginner here. Is it RERAs problem? acerlogic 0 465 04-07-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: acerlogic
  Worried about RERAs sheldor 7 777 03-08-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: sheldor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.