Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Couldn't take a deep breath
Couldn't take a deep breath
I woke up this morning and found I was unable to take a deep breath, don't know how long that had occurred overnight but this was around 7 a.m. My AHI was .3 so that was better than it's been the last few days. Two hours later I'm still having a problem taking a deep breath. Anxiety?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Couldn't take a deep breath
(02-17-2014, 09:04 AM)Sandra_ON Wrote: I woke up this morning and found I was unable to take a deep breath, don't know how long that had occurred overnight but this was around 7 a.m. My AHI was .3 so that was better than it's been the last few days. Two hours later I'm still having a problem taking a deep breath. Anxiety?

Hard to say if it is anxiety. If I had problems taking a deep breath and had no other symptoms indicating anxiety, then I would be calling my doc. Would rather find out it is nothing after having it checked out rather than not checking it out and it be something. JMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sandra did you still have the mask on when you experienced this feeling? I think that when your body gets used to cpap during the night sometimes it feels like it's hardly working. My DME laughed when I told him that. He said "that's a good thing, you are just getting used to it"

If you have this feeling after you take your mask off, I also think that might be normal. Your body has gotten used to having air pushed into your lungs all night and possibly after being awake for a few minutes you body will adjust and it will feel right.

I doubt that it's anything to worry about, especially if that feeling passes quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
drgrimes, I agree with what you are saying. the machine feeds us with a pressure(s) while we are sleeping.

My concern is that Sandra_ON says that the deep breathing is still an issue 2 hours later. Your thoughts on this still happening 2 hours later?

Post Reply Post Reply
My experience with being unable to take a deep breath is it is rather because of old air trapped in the lungs. Try a technique of "pursed" breathing for a few minutes. That's where you breath out in little puffs between your lips until your lungs feel empty before you take a new breath.

I think it would be wise to discuss it with your doc anyhow, even if that provides relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two hours later?

Trouble taking a deep breath, especially hours later, is not a side effect that I have heard about for CPAP.

Call the doctor. It if becomes serious go to the ER.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Umm, when you say you *can't* take a deep breath - what do you mean? What happens when you try? Does it hurt? If so, what type of pain? Sharp? Dull? More details please?

This happened to me one day - had nothing to do with my machine - I would get like a 9+ sharp stabbing pain up by my right shoulder - went to the ER thinking they would laugh at me - Never had so many Drs and nurses around me so fast - "Multiple PEs" (blood clots in the lungs)...

Not saying that is what is going on here but...more info may need to see a Doc fast??
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Peter_C' pid='59267' dateline='1392659993']
Umm, when you say you *can't* take a deep breath - what do you mean? What happens when you try? Does it hurt? If so, what type of pain? Sharp? Dull? More

I have no pain, just can't take a deep full breath although I think it seems better than earlier today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I know some folks talk about being sore when they first go on the machine, but not being able to take a deep breath? Going through what I have, I'd be at least calling my Doc about it - but, that's just me...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Not saying that what you are experiencing is this, but there is a condition called Pneumothorax.

From Wikipedia:
A pneumothorax (pl. pneumothoraces) is an abnormal collection of air or gas in the pleural space that separates the lung from the chest wall and which may interfere with normal breathing.

If you can't breathe normally you should really call your doctor (or get to the ER).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,009 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  reading oscar data- deep sleep nachumj 6 813 10-10-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,424 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,335 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.