Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Couple of questions about RERAs
RE: Couple of questions about RERAs
(10-04-2017, 02:59 PM)Mistertransistor Wrote: Thanks again OpalRose. Here's a link to an example of a RERA which I don't understand
http://wylie.org.uk/RERA.png  (that's my web site)
can you see why the machine says I have respiratory problems there?

The Dreamstation reports a duration associated with an RERA. Sometimes that duration can be longer than 1 minute. You have zoomed in so much here, that the end of the RERA may be off to the right of the chart.

Which brings up another issue. When you hover your cursor near the RERA event, SleepyHead highlights the duration. IMO (at least in some circumstances) it gets it wrong. I believe that the tick mark on the chart is best interpreted as the start (or perhaps the middle?) of the RERA, but not as the end of the RERA.

Unfortunately SleepyHead does it backward, it highlights backward from the tick, whereas it should be highlighting forward. Of course this may vary from machine to machine. Perhaps Resmed does it differntly, and when this highlighting was coded into SleepyHead there was a good reason to do t that way? My observations are bassed on the Dreamstation (which you also have).

These hints may help in interpreting the RERAs. But there's still subtlety involved. These events aren't as easily identified as are OAs and CAs.

Edit: I have attached a zoomed in area of two RERAs which I recently had. If interpreted the way that SleepyHead currently highlights, the events overlap. This doesn't make sense. If we interpret that second event as starting at the tick, then it makes much more sense. You can easily see how breathing improves 60 seconds after the tick.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Couple of questions about RERAs
The following is from Beginners Guide to SleepyHead. Hope it helps somewhat. :

"Since a RERA requires an EEG arousal to be scored and there is NOT a clear definition of how much the flow rate must be reduced for a RERA to be scored, most CPAP machines do not attempt to flag RERAs. But Philips Respironics has developed a proprietary algorithm for scoring what it believes are RERAs. Since there is no EEG data, the Philips Respironics RERA algorithm is based on a statistical analysis of what the wave flow for real RERAs on PSGs looks like: Loosely, the Philips Respironics RERA algorithm looks for evidence of increasing respiratory effort (i.e. "flow limited breathing") followed by one or more "recovery" breaths. When we look at the RERAs scored in our sample patient's data, it's sometimes difficult or impossible to see both the "evidence for increasing respiratory effort" and the "recovery breaths". We've also noticed that the placement of the RERA tick mark is far less consistent: Sometimes it appears at the beginning of the RERA, sometimes it appears at the end, and sometimes it appears in the middle. But every now and then we see a RERA where it is easy to see why it was scored."
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 223 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 222 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 294 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 156 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,304 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.