Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Couple of questions from a new guy.
Couple of questions from a new guy.
Hi,
I am new Cpap therapy and have been switching between a nasal pillow and a full mask depending on how stuffed up my nose gets (bad allergy season in Az) when I awake during the night. I'm averaging 6 hours of sleep or so, and prefer the nasal pillow, which I usually start out with.
Although I am not aware of a leak, my cheeks are really dry, chapped,red, and itchy from using these devices.I've tried aloe vera, but its not doing the job. I am thinking of trying vaseline to protect my skin at night. Do others have this problem and what do you use on your face?
As an aside, I find that while not as groggy in the morning as I once was, I get up more frequently at night than I used to, due to either a sore nose or other comfort issues. I am assuming this is par for a beginner?

Thanks,
Cabut.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Couple of questions from a new guy.
Hi Cabut Welcome

I hope you enjoy your time here on the Apnea Board. Firstly yes it is par for the course to get a sore and irritated face, usually nose cheeks, eyes etc. This does pass in time when your face becomes hardend to it but I would suggest more to vasaline as its more of a barrier but Im afraid its trial and error as whats good for the goose, if you get my drift. For me I used nivia till my face became use to it and now I dont have to use anything although I still do now and then just to keep looking young Cool

If your getting bunged up try using a cold remedy like Obas Oil on a tissue or piece of cotton and place it behind your machine, next to the intake. This will clear your nose in no time and give you some relief. I hope this helps you on your new journey. Anything else, just shout up.

DC Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why I could not use one of the hybrid masks. My lips after the first night were bleeding. I tried the second night but just could not tolerate my mouth being constantly blown open.

A lotion containing bees wax may last longer. Or lanolin. Anything that is to help with 'wind damaged skin'. Poke around on the 'net to see what sky divers and the like use.

The nasal pillows should help with the congestion. I am always surprised when it happens to me. I lay down thinking I'll not get any air but it keeps the nose open.

If your nose is hurting from the nasal pillows, you either have a size too large or you have the mask on too tight.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes indeed, allergies can be a nuisance. However, I have found that my use of the CPAP(and I do use pillows) has been a gentle blessing when I get congested. When I'm congested (allergy or cold) and before going to bed, I will use a sinus rinse, and then the CPAP pressures will open up my nostrils wonderfully. Its as if my allergies or cold have disappeared.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.
I happened to download SleepyHead and look at my first 12 days.
Average total leaks=25.99 for the last 7 days. Is that high reading?. The thing is with the nasal pillows I can't physically detect a leak so them how am I going to correct it?

Best,
Cabut
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 04:42 PM)Cabut Wrote: Average total leaks=25.99 for the last 7 days. Is that high reading?.
Hi Cabut
Total leak (25.99 ) = intentional leak plus unintentional leak
It looks you,re not leaking at all and its just about the intentional leak of either resmed or respironics full face masks at pressure 7

Doesn't SH shows unintentional leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 02:09 AM)zonk Wrote: Doesn't SH shows unintentional leak?

the current download version of sleepyhead gives both. but when you run the update, in the settings you get a choice of one or the other, not both.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 50 865 1 hour ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.