Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap Newbie - Help with pressure settings
Cpap Newbie - Help with pressure settings
Hi everyone,

I recently started using a Resmed Airsense 10 APAP for the past month to treat my mild sleep apnea. My doctor has set my pressure to 8-20 with an EPR of 3, yet I still feel cruddy. I wake up several times a night to pee and wake up in the morning with horrible brain fog and sleep inertia. 

I originally asked my doctor for a solution, and he bumped my min pressure up from 6 to 8. However, after nearly two weeks at 8, I've noticed no difference in my sleep quality and still wake up several times a night. 

Can anyone here help me interpret my data and, if needed, recommend a pressure change or some advice on how to improve my sleep?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap Newbie - Help with pressure settings
Welcome to the forum.
Overall Your numbers are awesome. BTW, I would have tried the same thing your doctor did.

two things. First, it can take time to feel better, often more time than we would like to give it.

Second, Your pressure is being driven by your flow limits. The RERA you have indicated this and the 95% FL stat also does as well as the correlation of your flow limit chart with your pressure increases.

On a BiLevel I would suggest you increase your PS/Pressure Support (EPR is your equivalent, but is limited to 3)
Ask your doctor if you could try a BiLevel to see if your comfort improves (I think it well)
The old school method is to increase your min pressure once again, I'll point our that the differential pressure provided by EPR is much more effective at this then just increasing pressure. If you simply turn off EPR, or reduce it, you should see an increase in your hypopneas and flow limitations and a decrease in your comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice!

In that case, would you recommend I bump up my min pressure to 9 for the next week and see how that affects my flow limits and sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd bump by 2 as a trial, the goal is you seeing and feeling a difference. I'd be surprised if it hurt anything,

IMHO in the end you will end up on a BiLevel, even if you need to get it yourself.
Look for a new sleep doctor, one that has many patients with UARS. Note that officially this is nothing but OSA but very few doctors recognize this. Search for Dr Barry Krakow. Any clinic he is associated with should be good. I'm sure there are others.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart indicates that your EPR is turned off. So your first step is to turn it on, set to 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
in the OP he mentioned EPR=3, I assumed it was there.
As Dormeo said step 1: Set +PR=3, Fulltime then repost.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys! I'll try a min of 10 and EPR of 3 for the next few days and report back!
Post Reply Post Reply
Please just the EPR change.

That way we will know what is making the difference.

AFTER that if you want to set min pressure=10 please do so and see which you prefer.

I suspect that EPR = 3 will make a big difference for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon. I'll make sure the machine is set to an EPR of 3 tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,

I tried the min pressure of 8 with an epr of 3 for the past few nights but I still woke over several times throughout the night and my flow limitations still remained high. It turns out my Oscar was acting glitchy and the EPR was on last time.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 17 423 2 hours ago
Last Post: BigWing
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 175 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,283 04-19-2024, 04:17 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 197 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 130 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 212 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 194 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.