Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap Newbie - Help with pressure settings
RE: Cpap Newbie - Help with pressure settings
Your chart still indicates that your EPR is off. Could you triple check that you've selected and confirmed EPR on at 3? We should be seeing two lines on your pressure graph and a delta of 3 for between your pressure and your EPAP numbers in the left-hand panel.
Post Reply Post Reply
One guess about the EPR is you have it set to "Ramp Only" and not "Full Time". Since you aren't using the ramp feature, it is not showing up.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,

My bad, I uploaded the wrong screenshot.

Here's the latest Oscar graphs from last night when I had the EPR set at 3.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your FLs were better, but just marginally. Keep the EPR for sure, though.

I see that on both nights, you were using the machine for less than 7 hours. That means your actually sleep time was less than that. You may simply need more. I see that you're a night owl. Any chance you can go to bed maybe an hour earlier? It's worth a shot to see whether that would give you a more refreshing night's sleep.

Are there any other aspects of routine sleep advice you might need to follow more diligently? Here's the usual list:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

I was sure this was all so vanilla it couldn't possibly help me -- and yet it did. Fingers crossed there will be some help for you too, somewhere on the list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure. I'll try to go to sleep 1-2 hours earlier tonight to see if that makes a difference.

Is there any other way to help control the flow limitations though? I keep waking up every hour or so throughout the night; sometime with my heart beating fast.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can attempt increasing your min pressure, that is the old school method but I doubt you will be successful there. Don't let that stop you from trying, I love being made a liar in these matters.

It is via increase in the differential pressure between inhale and exhale pressures (EPR) that manages flow limitations. The next step is a BiLevel such as the VAuto where PS/Pressure Support above the 3cmw EPR limit may be applied. This is where you are more likely to find success. In this you will most likely be on your own, with no insurance since they will see your AHI of under 5 and thus you are "cured".
Post Reply Post Reply
Just FYI, I bought my lightly used VAuto on my own dime -- very lucky to be able to afford to do that -- and it dramatically reduced my FLs.

The big unknown is whether reducing FLs will help you sleep better and feel more rested. It's cheaper and easier to see whether getting more sleep might do the trick, though if you can afford the VAuto comfortably, you could do both at the same time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys.

I'll try working on my sleep hygiene more and upping my min pressure a bit to see if that works over the next few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 304 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 153 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 187 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 323 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 498 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.