Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap Pillow mask v alternatives
Cpap Pillow mask v alternatives
Hi, I have for some eight months used an Eason2 Pillow mask, but to stop air escaping from my mouth I have  to apply tape across my mouth. I do not like doing this but it is the only way I can stop air leaking out my mouth. Have tried 'tongue up to the roof of the mouth' but no success. Even with the tape I sometimes wake up with a very dry mouth.

I sleep on my side and was advised that a full face mask will leak unless I sleep on my back, something I do not like to do.

Any advice anyone has on this issue would be appreciated.

Further if the suggestion is to go to to a FFM what one should I consider> i would prefer one that is light weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap Pillow mask v alternatives
A Full Face Mask (FFM) will work for a side sleeper.  The key is the pillow and positioning.  When I use a FFM I place my head on the pillows edge with the mask hanging over the edge of the pillow.  I use a "normal" pillow, nothing fancy.  There are specialty pillows, different filling materials, and "CPAP Pillows" with cutouts yo allow side sleeping.

Because of the larger size of a FFM and the unique contours of your face you will have to try the on.  The new ResMed AirTouch F20 seems to work for a lot of people, The Amara View is more of a hybrid but they call it a FFM. It is good to try because it is different.

Using a Nasal mask, have you tried a loose fitting cervical collar?  A chin strap?

I do suggest you read the Mask Primer.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I also sleep on my side using an airfit F20 full face mask and rarely have leaks. I use a buckwheat chaff pillow that's conformed with a hollow to maintain my head position and also provide clearance for the mask.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's how I use my buckwheat pillow, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem with nasal pillow masks.... prefer them over FFM but for the life of me, I couldn't stop the mouth breathing. Tried chip straps, cervical collar and tape... leaks through mouth were still high. Then I tried the Resmed F20 Airtouch. Solved my leaks issue and to a certain extend... my dry mouth issue. It would be a good choice I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
St880
Thanks for your comment. I will consider the mask you have had success with. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Most welcome. Good luck!  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Same problem with  Dreamwear mask andnew this spring  pillow/cushion.   Every time I roll over--bam--the leaks start.  Tried a chin strap. Ugg no good. More uncomfortable. Someone suggested moleskin around the nose. Have not tried this but I am going to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice. I am finding the Phillips Dreamwear gel Pillow to work well except that the straps that hold the mask tend to move when i turn from side to side and at times causes a leak. I currently use tape to seal my mouth and to stop air excaping, it works but do not like the idea of my lips being sealed this way.
Next week I am expecting delivery of an Ultimate Chin Strap, which maintains it will keep my jaw positioned correctly and I will not need to wear tape. Hopefully it will solve this issue and as the Pillow mask is fitted over the UCS it will stop the mask straps from moving.
I will report back in a week or so of the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper with a regular pillow for now and the AirFit F20 FFM. It works fine after time has been invested in getting it to stop leaks. It beats my Amara View in all categories. BTW my ASV blower machine approves the use of the F20.

Dave

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exploring Innovative Approaches to Pillow Packaging alexa2851 0 14 28 minutes ago
Last Post: alexa2851
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,725 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 235 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 326 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 433 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 244 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.