Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap Pillow mask v alternatives
Hi, I have for some eight months used an Eason2 Pillow mask, but to stop air escaping from my mouth I have  to apply tape across my mouth. I do not like doing this but it is the only way I can stop air leaking out my mouth. Have tried 'tongue up to the roof of the mouth' but no success. Even with the tape I sometimes wake up with a very dry mouth.

I sleep on my side and was advised that a full face mask will leak unless I sleep on my back, something I do not like to do.

Any advice anyone has on this issue would be appreciated.

Further if the suggestion is to go to to a FFM what one should I consider> i would prefer one that is light weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Full Face Mask (FFM) will work for a side sleeper.  The key is the pillow and positioning.  When I use a FFM I place my head on the pillows edge with the mask hanging over the edge of the pillow.  I use a "normal" pillow, nothing fancy.  There are specialty pillows, different filling materials, and "CPAP Pillows" with cutouts yo allow side sleeping.

Because of the larger size of a FFM and the unique contours of your face you will have to try the on.  The new ResMed AirTouch F20 seems to work for a lot of people, The Amara View is more of a hybrid but they call it a FFM. It is good to try because it is different.

Using a Nasal mask, have you tried a loose fitting cervical collar?  A chin strap?

I do suggest you read the Mask Primer.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I also sleep on my side using an airfit F20 full face mask and rarely have leaks. I use a buckwheat chaff pillow that's conformed with a hollow to maintain my head position and also provide clearance for the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply

That's how I use my buckwheat pillow, too.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem with nasal pillow masks.... prefer them over FFM but for the life of me, I couldn't stop the mouth breathing. Tried chip straps, cervical collar and tape... leaks through mouth were still high. Then I tried the Resmed F20 Airtouch. Solved my leaks issue and to a certain extend... my dry mouth issue. It would be a good choice I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
St880
Thanks for your comment. I will consider the mask you have had success with. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Most welcome. Good luck!  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures Possible w/ Nasal/Pillow Mask? JonnyCPAP 9 265 09-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Shift Worker
  New and need a new pillow? stefni04 12 296 09-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Last Post: ozcedric
  Buckwheat! [pillow helps] aquanaut20 14 554 09-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  Would you go FFM or Nasal Pillow Mask? st8800 6 256 09-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Last Post: st8800
  Dreamwear Gel Pillow - exhaust slot noise BoyrauchS 4 351 08-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Last Post: BoyrauchS
  Recommend a mask to me? Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow? mraroid 3 238 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Last Post: mraroid
  DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask users sleepytimegal 43 3,243 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898