Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap & Tinnitus
RE: Cpap & Tinnitus
My hearing isn't nearly as good as it used to be. My wife reminds me of that quite frequently.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2020, 10:39 PM)KSMatthew Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 02:54 PM)bonjour Wrote: Interestingly,  I have passed every hearing test I have ever taken.

It's possible to have hearing loss that isn't enough to fail a test.  I can pass, but I have significant loss in one ear at particular frequencies.  The only hearing tests I've had to do that were pass/fail required me to hear a normal conversation at 6ft.  This test was nothing more than the doc asking me some questions while standing behind me.  At an audiologist you can get tested and be given an audiogram that shows your hearing ability at a range of frequencies.  You'll probably see a loss in some of the high freq ranges (not unusual).

Tinnitus, as it's been explained to me, is the brain's way of compensating for missing frequencies.  It fills in sound where it thinks it should be.  The ringing, literally, is "in your head".  Hearing aids can help because they will amplify those frequencies and cause the ringing to move into the background.  However, at night, without my aid, my tinnitus is very noticeable...until I turn on the CPAP and the white noise drowns it out.
All of the hearing tests that I have done have been in the booth, and all were said to be normal.  Once the COVID-19 has settled down I'm planning another test and I'll see if they find anything this time.  Mine is at a fairly high frequency that matches the horizontal hold frequency on tube TV's, and louder than most environments I've ever been in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that audiologist booth test with headphones 2 or so years ago. The techs said it was 2.1k as the affected frequency, more on the right than left. Right was about 65 dB and left was 60 dB for the tinnitus loudness at that time. They said I could get digital hearing aids that would have notch filters to compensate for the ringing. But since this would be out of pocket, I've yet to get them. With the prices I saw, I'll probably be fully deaf before this happens.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My hearing loss is in the higher frequencies, too. Right side slightly worse than the left.

As the audiologist explained it to me, hearing loss in the higher frequencies affects the ability to understand speech by 'hiding' the sharp consonants. That's certainly the most irritating aspect of my hearing loss. I really struggle with watching TV, especially.
Post Reply Post Reply
I look on the positive in everything. I was paying attention, I just didn't hear what you said. I'm pretty sure the audiologist pointed out that where my tinnitus is on the frequency chart, I'd not be able to hear directions well. Or at least that's what I think she said.

Coffee <-6.1ft-> Eat-popcorn overachiever
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I went for my hearing test, I swear my audiologist was having hallucinations.

Just before starting the test, she closed the door because she said there was a giraffe coming down the corridor.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI!

[Image: 1WxeKJq.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had tinnitus for over 30 years, worse in my left ear than my right; I have also passed hearing tests -- but they did find the frequency of my tinnitus at the time. In fact, they cancelled out the tinnitus in the hearing booth by emitting that frequency, but it subsequently wore off. 

Funny thing about the CPAP for me: the machine provides just enough white noise to mask my tinnitus, so that I find it has helped me. Generally, I only become aware of my tinnitus (mine sounds like several fridge motors humming) when it gets very quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a hearing clinic in Phoenix that specializes in Tinnitus. I've seen their commercials on tv and they come off as good. 

If I do decide to someday pursue some treatment, I'll most likely call them and set up an appt. Now that I'm on Medicare, it won't cost me anything out-of-pocket.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my audiologist appt at the VA in August. It has been rescheduled twice due to COVID-19. I got disability for tinnitus, but not hearing loss (can't prove hearing loss was service related as they gave me a new baseline when I came back from Japan, but that is another story).

Big Guy, interesting what you said about Medicare paying for hearing devices. I checked with them and they said nice tray. Unless they have something for tinnitus only or you have an advantage-type plan.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [Pressure] tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help weuw 16 2,745 05-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: weuw
  Tinnitus? MiddleAgeGeek 22 1,927 04-07-2021, 06:48 PM
Last Post: MiddleAgeGeek
Surprised I used the AirFit P10 for 3 hours and now have tinnitus. freddieku 0 699 02-23-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: freddieku
  TINNITUS Llll 21 1,994 01-10-2021, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask The Professor 21 4,080 04-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Last Post: The Professor
  Central apnea and tinnitus pizza41466 13 5,817 06-13-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: pizza41466
  Tinnitus gumbloid 19 11,286 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.