Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Periodic Breathing
Periodic Breathing
Does anyone know what percentage of periodic breathing should be concerning? I normally have either 0% or 1%. Last night I had 9 hrs of sleep, an AHI of 3.9 and 4% periodic breathing. Should I be concerned?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Periodic Breathing
It does not sound a lot, but.................

Quote:Medical Definition of Periodic breathing. Periodic breathing: Clusters of breaths separated by intervals of apnea (no breathing) or near-apnea. As opposed to normal breathing which is usually regular. ... Periodic breathing during sleep occurs typically in patients with congestive heart failure.
Periodic breathing is a normal variation of breathing found in premature and full term infants. It occurs when the infant has pauses in breathing for no more than 10 seconds at a time followed by a series of rapid, shallow breaths. Then the breathing returns to normal without any stimulation or intervention.
Periodic breathing is a normal variation of breathing found in premature and full term infants. It occurs when the infant has pauses in breathing for no more than 10 seconds at a time followed by a series of rapid, shallow breaths. Then the breathing returns to normal without any stimulation or intervention. These pauses in breathing may be accompanied by minor oxygen desaturation and bradycardia. It usually occurs when the infant is sleeping deeply, but may occur with light sleep or even when awake. Studies have shown that 78% of healthy full-term infants experience episodes of periodic breathing in the first two weeks of life, which typically resolves in the first six months of life.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Is there any kind of chart that indicates whats a good % or bad %?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not seen one, but if I were you I would discuss it with your doctor and get the ticker checked out as well.
I wouldn't want to see a high number.  You slept for 9 hours, I think that works out around 21 minutes of it, that is not good.  But I was never good at maths at school and I am a lot worse these days.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no chart that I know of. Often Periodic readings on the Dreamstations are just misreadings by the machine. If your not getting more than 10% or more every night I wouldn't worry about it. It's not uncommon for many people to get an few percent of period readings on their machines from time to time.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Machines can be stupid at times, so unless you are constantly getting it I wouldn't worry about it to much.
I would get a heart trace and if it shows nothing, stop worrying.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll keep an eye on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,152 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 151 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 386 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 489 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.