Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap and vertigo
Cpap and vertigo
Hi
Can cpap cause vertigo

I have been on cpap for about a month and a half

My doctors told me to start cpap as I was experiencing dizzy and light headiness.
I also had apnea so was worth doing

A few nights ago I had a bad vertigo attack and am still having problems, not as severe but limiting what I can do.

I have had a number of tests done and are still getting more

I recently dropped my cpap pressure from 15 to 12 and have adjusted humidity as was getting a dry mouth I did these days before the attack and after so may be not related

I did have a case of vertigo about 1-2 years ago.

So has anyone found a correlation between cpap and vertigo
I don't want to stop cpap as have just sorted out my mask and appear to be getting results according to SH.

Richardj

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap and vertigo
I haven't heard of vertigo being caused by cpap. It can, however be caused by allergies and ear infections. I had a severe bout of vertigo that required a trip to the emergency room. After a lot of testing it was decided it was caused by ear congestion due to severe allergies. The symptoms were controlled with Diazepam and Meclizine. It finally went away after I had treated my allergies for several months. With the exception of the first night, I used my capap machine the whole time I had vertigo.

Good luck with your treatment of your vertigo. It can be very debilitating.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich,

I also have had issues with vertigo and went to Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapist (VRT). Dizziness can be caused by loose crystals called “otoconia” in your inner ear, which is known as BPPV. Inside your ear is a tiny organ called the vestibular labyrinth. It includes three loop-shaped structures (semicircular canals) that contain fluid and fine, hair-like sensors that monitor the rotation of your head.
If the loose crystals move into the canals you get dizziness, sometimes very severe.

Usually it is in only one ear. I can usually stop the onset by closing my eyes and stop movement of my head. I don't think BPPV is caused by CPAP. Check the internet for BPPV, I recently saw a new method to clear the crystals which could be done by yourself. Will try to find it again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replies

The Dr I have gone to believes it to be the BPPV. I am seeing him today again.

He has proposed seeing a physio to get some special exercises.

Unfortunately I am not at home and am away so is a bit more difficult

I just noticed in my sh data that I had increased my pressure that night.

I was prescribed at 15 but had dropped to 12 as it was more comfortable and had been running at that for a week or so. For that night I increased the pressure to 14, I think I also adjusted the humidity a bit. I have gone back to 12

Not sure if relevant but ya never know.

I could stop cpap for awhile I guess but I do sleep better and do not snore with it

I still have the occasional mask leakage like last night where I had a period of large leaks. This was when I experienced or at least had recorded the majority of my apneas for the night.

I will do some hunting

Thanks again
Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
Dizziness or vertigo can be caused by a number of things. I have had vertigo before and during CPAP. My vertigo, I think, turned out to be due to insufficient hydration.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Read this article on Epley Maneuver.
I'm not suggesting that''s how one should treat it; just as an educational article on vertigo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
i had BPPV shortly after starting CPAP. It comes up often enough, I am inclined to think there could be a correlation, but maybe it is just our collective average age....

I got rid of mine by accident - when putting in a pair of "Earplanes" for a trip. Happy accident Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe you are talking about the Epley Maneuver.
I had vertigo hit me out of nowhere while I was at work. Considered going to the ER (just down the hall) but I saw my PCP instead, who sent me to our physical therapist to do the Epley, and it went away.
It's worth taking an allergy med if you have no contraindications, I personally use claritin daily, and claritin D during severe allergy season. Congestion can cause vertigo like symptoms.... Good luck!
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all I will give some of the suggestions a spin (excuse the pun).

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
Off to a physio Monday for the treatment
Hopefully this gets me back to close to normal with just plain old apnea

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Experienced Vertigo The Morning After? Dick55 11 1,487 05-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ellenos
  [Symptoms] Vertigo Rcgop 14 1,914 06-10-2020, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems SuperSleeper 73 96,166 03-29-2020, 09:07 AM
Last Post: bfclansing
  ear and vertigo problems with cpap? mattm1 7 4,496 02-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Last Post: fgiagiari

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.