Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap as air purifier
Surprised 
Cpap as air purifier
This question is Cpap related, but not sleep related, so I hope it is ok to post. I have MCS, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. It used to be called Environmental Illness. I live in a 4 plex and the smoke from my neighbor is filling my apartment. I am dangerously allergic to it and will become suicidal with continued exposure. Until I can get some air purifiers, I was thinking about using my Cpap to filter the air. Wearing it full time. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it safe? What setting should I use? I have a Respironics REMstar with humidifier. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap as air purifier
Won't work. Ask anyone with a dog that farts at night that wears the mask what happens.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The inlet filter is basically just a dust filter. It there more to protect the machine than the patient.
You'll need HEPA room filters with activated charcoal to remove smoke from the air.

You would find wearing CPAP 24/7 nearly impossible.

Depending on the jurisdiction of where you live, you might be able to get an injunction against your neighbor.
I'm not a lawyer, so don't put too much weight on that. Society has become very much against smoking; so, it's a possibility.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Our complex is going smoke free. No one can smoke outside and she has until her lease renews to stop smoking inside, 9 months. I know it won't catch all of it, but when it is smoky and I put the Cpap on, I can't smell it anymore, so it's getting some of it. It's a low-income complex. My rent is only $77, so I can't move. I know it would be uncomfortable to wear all the time, but I'm getting desperate. I came closed to committing suicide when I was 16 because my mom was smoking so much. Tomorrow is payday and I'm ordering a Vog Mask and a bacterial filter for the Cpap. I'm wearing face masks that I sewed, and that gets at least some of it. I really don't want to go into the hospital, but I will admit myself if I start feeling suicidal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to suggest wearing N95 type masks.
But, I just Googled the Vog Mask. They are N99 with charcoal. They just might do the job.
I don't think the bacterial filter will help on the CPAP.

And, if you do feel suicidal -- by all means seek help.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SherryLynne Fay,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having so many health problems and I hope you get to feeling better.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The two filters in the machine do purify the air to some degree, they don't filter at the molecular level, which is why smells still get through, since they are small, simple molecules. You need to have activated charcoal in the filter to grab small molecules that come in through the intake, and even then, at very high concentrations, it won't grab all of them (just not enough surface area at the rate gas moves through them) but it does a fairly good job.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh wow! Sure hope the better filtration on the VOG mask helps!

How is the smoke getting into your apartment? Can you take a candle around your apartment and find where the contaminated air is coming from? Once it is located, can you block that air leak with tape used for heating ducts? (NOT duct tape, it is not really air tight.) Stove/oven fan? Bathroom fan? If it a leaky window frame can a storm window be put on that will seal the air leak, or use air blocking tape?

Sure hope you get some relief soon. Agree with another comment-if you feel suicidal get help!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vog Mask has the second highest rating for removing smoke. It's $30. The best mask is $85.

The management said it comes in through the ac/heating ducts and through the outlets. I really don't understand that because we all have our own ac/furnace. Today I bought a heater. I plan on getting the foam insulation for the outlets. Then I am going to tape off the vents and rely on the heater. I will probably have to move my bed to the living room, but it's a day bed, so it won't look too weird.

As soon as I can get in to see an allergy doctor, I hope to be prescribed vent filters. My friend's insurance paid for hers.

Everyone on here is so nice and caring! I'm glad I found you.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not coming through ducting, it is just coming up through the ceiling in their apartment/floor of your apt. There is more than enough microgaps in structural materials/carpet/etc... to allow smoke size molecules through the ceiling/floor and into your place.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.