Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap is $$$
Cpap is $$$
That's the number one thing I have noticed about cpap , Nothing is cheap . Being on a very VERY tight budget this is tough to deal with .

I'd like to try some different things to see if my sleep improves but it seems that will have to wait . Please don't take this as whining , Just sticker shock . ShockShock
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap is $$$
True.
But it is a damn sight cheaper than having a heart attack or stroke. No?
I think of it as cheap insurance.
Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2013, 09:03 PM)Shastzi Wrote: But it is a damn sight cheaper than having a heart attack or stroke. No?

LOL The prices nearly caused a heart attack !!! Too-funnyBigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Mmm. Wink Indeed. That's why I have to build some of the stuff I need.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
OR you already had the heart attack...
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, a little perspective: Cost of a CPAP rig, total: ca. 5k for a good model, mask and maintenance contract (prices may vary in your area/deal, but overall this is pretty much what it is).

Visiting me, first 5 min: 120, first subsequent 5 min:60, each subsequent 5 min: 15. Cost of Lisistril to keep your bP down per year: 250. Cost of most statins, per year: 160. So far, just for a visit to me, a general check up and drugs to combat what bp and cholesterol you are out of pocket around 750. And that is every year at least, for sure. Once on full compliance with CPAP for a year or more the Lisistril usually is no longer necessary, and since you feel better in the day you will move more and lower your cholesterol (and you can really do this cheaply - MOVE! GET OFF YER DUFF!The simplest formula for lowering cholesterol in 90% of all Americans, according to CDC) so there's a savings of 410 in the year already. So long as you are well, you don't need to see me, so that money is saved. And if I have you on the above drugs, you will see me at least twice a year and I will monitor your blood (oops! I forgot the lab work: 175 a shot! Sorry, add that to the above total). So we can cut all that out. After the first year your total cost of ownership goes down considerably, once I am no longer needed.

Now, how many man hours are lost per year because you are feeling dopey in the day - how much is that worth? And of course, the big one: Emergency treatment for a heart attack, around 5k, follow up care around 15k. Therapy and GP visits, meds etc, first year: around 8k.

Gee, the CPAP starts to sound economical, don't it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Works for me. A CPAP a day keeps the doctor away. (oooh that was BAD!)

Laugh-a-lot

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2013, 05:36 AM)DocWils Wrote: Okay, a little perspective: Cost of a CPAP rig, total: ca. 5k for a good model, mask and maintenance contract (prices may vary in your area/deal, but overall this is pretty much what it is).

Wait a minute - you pay $5,000 for the total package?!?!? How is that possible? Or does the "k" refer to something other than thousands?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
The worst problem is the billing scams.

The DME bills for $5000.
Insurance knocks it down to $1000 and the DME accepts it and still makes a profit.
A non-insurance patient pays the full $5000.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humm. I had to pay for everything out of pocket and I never came close to $5000.
Maybe $2000 tops?
I got a new S9 for $999 (free shipping)
I bought a bunch of masks up front, $750 and tried them all out.
cleaning stuff was about $50-$100

$170 Doctor visit to freshen up the prescriptions.

Time spent learning new stuff: Priceless.

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.