Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap is $$$
RE: Cpap is $$$
(03-21-2013, 08:21 PM)Tiny Wrote: That's the number one thing I have noticed about cpap , Nothing is cheap .

I found that out when I said I needed a new swivel (a ring that connects the mask to the hose enabling the mask to move. I was told one of those silly little things would cost me $20.

Okay. When I trade up my CPAP machine if I trade in my mask for a new one in the process, I'll keep the swivel ring. Maybe I'll have the extra one that way.

WHY?

I have three hoses, two swivel rings. It's required to connect the mask to the hose and they are a bitch to remove from one hose to put on the next.

But yeah, that stupid little thing, they want twenty bucks, far too expensive in any country.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, Tiny!

I suffered with severe, untreated OSA for many years, which essentially means that i was a zombie before it was fashionable. By 2005, CPAP technology had improved to the point where I could get effective and even comfortable therapy. I've been a hosehead ever since and I've never looked back.

I feel much, much better, but some of what I've lost is gone for good. Long-term sleep deprivation can lead to permanent impairment.

So I'm asking you to please, don't let the admittedly high cost of new CPAP equipment stop you from getting effective therapy as soon as possible.

What this post isn't, though, is a lecture about "what is more important, your rent and other monthly expenses or your health?". I understand that there are folks who qualify for Medicaid or other subsidized healthcare, and other folks who have good healthcare benefits through their employment. But there are a huge number of folks who fall through the cracks, and for them, paying full price for CPAP gear can be a staggering expense.

The most important thing to keep in mind at this point is that there are alternatives to buying brand-new CPAP equipment.

CPAP therapy is relatively common in the U.S. today, and as a result, there is a huge amount of perfectly servicable used equipment out there, most of it just gathering dust. Here are just a few places you can find it:

Online auction sites. eBay's terms of service do not allow the sale of CPAP machines or even masks, so sellers there are restricted to offering "mask parts". But there are plenty of other sites, most without such restrictions, such as eCrater. Here's a good starting point: 17 Alternatives to eBay in 2013

Your local sleep lab. Sleep labs often receive donated equipment from a DME supplier whose services they recommend. If you explain your situation, a good sleep lab will do what they can to help you find what you need. They may offer you a surplus unit, or they may be able to put you in touch with a DME rep who has proven to be helpful in the past. Your sleep lab should also have a wide selection of masks for you to try on. That is a very helpful way to learn what style and size of mask is best for you, without having to purchase a number of different masks by trial-and-error.

Your local DME provider. When I was first working on adjusting to CPAP, I wanted to try machines from "The Big Three" (Respironics, Puritan Bennett, and ResMed, at the time). My DME rep said, "no problem", and brought me one of each. When I decided on the ResMed, he told me, "I'll have to take the Respironics back, because that was a special order, but the Puritan Bennett, you can keep." When I protested that I didn't need it, he said, "Keep it as a spare. That's our most popular machine, I have used ones stacked to the rafters in our warehouse, and we don't sell 'em."

Your local Lung Association. In some parts of the country, the Lung Association administers or facilitates support groups for CPAP patients, some of which include equipment exchange or donation pools.

Pawn shops. CPAP machines are ubitquitous enough where they're starting to turn up in quantity at estate sales and pawn shops. Typically they'll sell for pennies on the dollar.

Local "Bargain Hunter" publications or websites. Here in Connecticut, there's a newspaper called "The Bargain News". They've been around for at least 40 years that I know of, and they have an online presence as well. Anyplace where you can find listings of secondhand household merchandise for sale is likely to have a CPAP machine or two on offer. Again, usually for pennies on the dollar. An excellent option would be to place a "wanted" ad. You might be surprised at the response you get.

Airports. Any facility that offers unclaimed luggage for sale will undoubtedly have CPAP units too. And they're easy to spot, most of them will be in neat, custom-sized nylon luggage with the manufacturer's logo prominently displayed.

There's more, but I think I've given you a good starting point.

With any used machine, you'll need a new filter. Provided that it is properly-fitted, a used mask can be easily cleaned, disinfected, and re-used. You can clean a used hose, but they're cheap enough (<$10) where I don't think I'd bother. If you take your prescription (I'm assuming you have one since you've posted a pressure in your profile) and your newly-acquired CPAP to your local DME, they should be willing to set it and test it's operation for you for a modest fee. Alternately, you can come here for advice...that's what a support group is for!

Obviously, a brand-new machine from an authorized DME provider is the gold standard. But hopefully, there are those of of us who remember what it's like to live with untreated OSA and are willing to do what we can to help you on your way.

Good luck! Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Carl!

Great-info

I am on of those folks that has "fallen through the cracks"

I can't qualify for any assistance.
(even from institutions I have been paying $$ into my whole life!! )
Can't afford health insurance at the moment. (still shopping...)

My only ace was that I have been lucky enough to save up a few pennies and dimes to pay for the hardware and improvise the rest as I go.
Even as it was for me, I was quickly falling into the Living Zombie mode.
I barely was able to extracate myself from the situation before my mind turned into mush (among other things).

For folks that do not have the minimal resources to "buy into better health" the situation is deplorable.

And...any further traffic from me would just fall into socio-political rants so
I'll just quit here while I'm ahead.

Thanks again, Carl. You gave me some good leads. I'll check with the Lung Association too.

:grin:

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info Carl - thanks for taking time to post all that!

Well-done
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2013, 09:18 AM)archangle Wrote: The worst problem is the billing scams.
The DME bills for $5000.
Insurance knocks it down to $1000 and the DME accepts it and still makes a profit.
A non-insurance patient pays the full $5000.

Yes, the insurance industry has a lot of negotiating power. And political power.

Perhaps ask the DME for a prescription for the CPAP and related hardware. Then you can choose and purchase from whom ever you want. ............... Cool I did this with my DME, and got a prescription for my Recording Oximeter. I purchased my Oximeter from a private distributor.

You might try negotiating with a DME who sells equimpment or the compay who does sell for your area.

Find out what the insurance company allows...... and ask for the insurance price. Thinking-about They may or may not ngotiate; However; they might want to make a sale making some money.......... over losing the entire sale to a competitor.

I realize this is not within everyone's comfort zone; however it is worth a try if money is an issue.

Best of sucess! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not against making a profit, I am against blatent swindling going on.
Sounds like a real Charlie Foxtrot to me...

Tongue
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2013, 08:02 PM)u2canbuild Wrote: Perhaps ask the DME for a prescription for the CPAP and related hardware. Then you can choose and purchase from whom ever you want. ............... Cool

You might try negotiating with a DME who sells equimpment or the compay who does sell for your area.

I suspect that the above statement is a misprint as DME's can't give prescriptions only Doctors can. In which case, you ask the sleep doc for a script to take to the appropriate DME to purchase the necessary equipment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2013, 10:48 PM)PollCat Wrote: I suspect that the above statement is a misprint as DME's can't give prescriptions only Doctors can.

This is true, of course, but they still try to interpret the prescription to suit their needs rather than what is in your best interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2013, 06:02 AM)Ugly Wrote: [quote='PollCat' pid='32719' dateline='1364269688']
I suspect that the above statement is a misprint as DME's can't give prescriptions only Doctors can.

Yes missprint .......... good call. Thanks

Yes, in post #15, I ment to say Doctor instead of DME.

There are many ways to solve both money and health issues. I wanted to open the option of possible negotiation to others.

Some people are comfortable to live in the "box",

Others "think outside the box",

And yet others "live outside the box", none is right, none is wrong. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2013, 08:13 PM)Ugly Wrote: It's required to connect the mask to the hose and they are a bitch to remove from one hose to put on the next.

There's a technique to removing the hose from the mask. Once you get the feel of it, it's a lot easier. Even with my masks that use that connector, I just take the hose off the mask, instead of pulling the swivel off still attached to the hose.

I should take some pictures and post them of the technique. Basically, you don't pull or twist like you're unscrewing it. You lever it sideways so one side of the hose slides up, and then you can take it off easily.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.