Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap mold
Cpap mold
Hi, i pulled my cpap over while I was sleeping and water got inside.  Over the last few days, a smell of mold has developed.  I have washed all of my equipment thoroughly but the smell remains.  I began having asthma attacks.  I am very allergic to mold.  How can I clean the mold out of the inside of the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap mold
Hello: I'd really need to know which machine you have to advise you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be inclined to call the DME and ask for warranty service.

But I am a newbie and have zero experience with this, so I'm sure more people will be along soon to advise.

If you could tell us which machine you have, it'll help the advice be more relevant, like justMongo said.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not at all familiar with the construction of any of these machines so I can't advise you on how to clean it but have you looked at or replaced the filter(s)? If a filter got wet it would be a great place for mold to grow until it dried out.  Think of what happens if you leave a wet dishcloth by the sink for several days. (My wife gets after me for that all the time.)

You mentioned pulling it over. If water spilled out of the machine is it possible something around or under the machine got wet and the smell is coming from there? The filters would remove the mold spores from the air but not the smell.

As Hydrangia said, this may be something for your DME to deal with. I wouldn't attempt opening the machine for cleaning unless you really understated what you are doing, especially if it is still under warranty. The manual states "Do not open or modify the device. There are no user serviceable parts inside. Repairs and
servicing should only be performed by an authorized ResMed service agent". In the warranty section it states "This Limited Warranty does not cover: a) any damage caused as a result of improper use, abuse, modification or alteration of the product;". I think opening it yourself would be considered improper use or modification.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Annienn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and getting your problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is indeed mold or mildew, it should be treated as a biohazard. Mildew, a form of fungus, is typically white; whereas mold usually are different shades of black, blue, red, and green.

You may wish to consult the manufacturer or your DME for proper care of the machine itself. As for the disposable parts (Mask, Hose, Filter, Water Chamber, etc.) I would replace everything once the machine is clean.

Some people have tried a dilute solution of vinegar in the water chamber and have run the machine for a period of time. I am not positive that this is an effective solution or that the smell of vinegar will dissipate. Hence, ask someone before you try something that sounds simple, but could damage the machine or can affect your health.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2017, 08:46 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: If it is indeed mold or mildew, it should be treated as a biohazard. Mildew, a form of fungus, is typically white; whereas mold usually are different shades of black, blue, red, and green.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. The above information, found at multiple site on the internet, is not correct. To imply that there is a difference between molds and fungi is incorrect. All molds are fungi, not all fungi (e.g. mushrooms) are molds.

I've grown a lot of pathogenic and non-pathogenic molds (fungi) in hospital labs  and I can assure you that they come in many colors including white. The most pathogenic fungus I know of forms a white cottony growth. Color alone is meaningless in distinguishing between pathogenic and non-pathogenic species. The vast majority of fungi are not pathogenic. That being said, I would not want any visible growth of any kind in my CPAP equipment. (Possible allergic reactions are a good reason.)

Most mildew I have seen is dark green or black but mildew is a generic term and not a scientific description. I suspect there are a number of species of species of fungi that cause mildew.

If the mask, tubing, and reservoir look and smell clean there should be no need to replace them. That doesn't mean they are completely free of mold spores but nothing in your environment is. That's why bread gets moldy, from spores in the air of your home. Replacement equipment would probably not be completely free of mold spores. Even if it were, some would be picked up in handling and use.

Do you detect odor from the machine if the reservoir, tubing, mask, and filters are removed? If so the problem is in the machine and can probably only be corrected by a qualified service center as has been suggested.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2017, 10:23 PM)Melman Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 08:46 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: If it is indeed mold or mildew, it should be treated as a biohazard. Mildew, a form of fungus, is typically white; whereas mold usually are different shades of black, blue, red, and green.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. The above information, found at multiple site on the internet, is not correct. To imply that there is a difference between molds and fungi is incorrect. All molds are fungi, not all fungi (e.g. mushrooms) are molds.

I've grown a lot of pathogenic and non-pathogenic molds (fungi) in hospital labs  and I can assure you that they come in many colors including white. The most pathogenic fungus I know of forms a white cottony growth. Color alone is meaningless in distinguishing between pathogenic and non-pathogenic species. The vast majority of fungi are not pathogenic. That being said, I would not want any visible growth of any kind in my CPAP equipment. (Possible allergic reactions are a good reason.)

Most mildew I have seen is dark green or black but mildew is a generic term and not a scientific description. I suspect there are a number of species of species of fungi that cause mildew.

You may wish to cruise over to Wikipedia and correct the record ... plus there are additional sites that you can fix. I agree that you wouldn't want anything growing on or in your equipment. My DME identified "mildew" on my old ResMed S8 and was the one who explained about the colors and explained what I was seeing. Since the unit had been decommissioned and improperly stored, I thought I would clean it up before donating it to a medical group that operates in a foreign country. Thanks for the update.

Quote:Mildew is a form of fungus. It is distinguished from its closely related counterpart, mold (British English: mould), largely by its color: molds appear in shades of black, blue, red, and green, whereas mildew is white. It appears as a thin, superficial growth consisting of minute hyphae (fungal filaments) produced especially on living plants or organic matter such as wood, paper or leather.[1][2] Both mold and mildew produce distinct offensive odors, and both have been identified as the cause of certain human ailments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 757 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  [CPAP] Mold Inside CPAP Machine jimc77 11 3,790 01-06-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  How do you keep the machines away from mold and stuff? goku 7 947 08-09-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: hh9797
  [CPAP] Mold/mildew in CPAP machine/blower unit snowboardjoe 1 1,847 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jaycee-questions on mold PaytonA 15 6,506 05-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Melman
  OSA and mold, fungus, bacteria USAFAirdale 6 7,203 10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.