Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm finally ready to try a full face mask
RE: I'm finally ready to try a full face mask
Large lead for the F30i wa 11.13%; F20 -0% and F30 -0.02%
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been going back and forth with 3 different masks.  At the moment I am back to my Phillips Dreamwear Hybrid.  Covers both bases for me.  Nose and then also the mouth.  I like that it allows me to watch tv or read or whatever unobstructed.  It is very light weight.  I just wish it had foam instead of the silicone or rubber stuff.  My LARGE LEAKS appear to the wrong mask type setting.

So I would consider a foam mask like the ResMed AirTouch F20 or the Phillips Dreamwear Hybrid.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sleep well,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that, out of all the CPAP therapy related items, the mask has to be the Achilles heel.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2020, 12:02 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I believe that, out of all the CPAP therapy related items, the mask has to be the Achilles heel.

Agreed.

That's where the rubber meets the road.  Or where the silicone meets the skin. Oh-jeez

Everybody's face is different. Thank goodness there are tons of mask options available. I settled on the F30 with Amara View headgear instead of the OEM ResMed headgear. It is more comfortable and more versatile to set up. I find the F30 to be much more comfortable and minimalistic over any other FFM's that I have tried.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Best of luck on your quest Croweater.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulB,

Is it possible that the full face masks are pushing your jaw back enough to be causing a slight obstruction?

Just a thought.

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I finally got my full face mask. It is a ResMed AirFit F30i.

I'm not finding it to be an easy adjustment for me. Not only are my AHI numbers somewhat elevated, I'm also experiencing aerophagia. I'm confused about these developments because I was not expecting them.

Just to review, my main problem has always been central apneas so I am on an ASV machine. For several months I have been using a DreamWisp nasal mask and my results have been exceptional. My AHI has gone from 56 down to an average of less than 0.5, and many nights I even get 0!

I'm sure everyone is wondering why I would make any changes with these kinds of results. The answer is two-fold:
1) The nasal mask only works for me if I tape my mouth shut. (This is something my doctor is not happy about)
2) I sometimes get nasal restrictions in the night and I have to remove the mask in order to breath.

For these 2 reason I had decided to try a full face mask so that I can breath through my mouth, as well as my nose, and also avoid having to tape my mouth each night.

I assumed that it would be an easy transition because I would just keep the same ASV settings I have used all along. The only change I expected to make was defining the mask type to be "Full" instead of "Nasal". However, the aerophagia was too problematic so I have been forced to play with the settings to mitigate the aerophagia. That is not working out well for me.

If the machine settings stay constant, why would a full face mask cause me aerophagia when a nasal mask does not?
If I'm forced to adjust the settings to mitigate the aerophagia, I find that my AHI number goes up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still trying to get used to the Dreamwear Full face mask after 3 months and find that if I don't get a really good fit when I put it on, I also get a higher AHI and more snoring. When I do get a good fit, I get a low AHI around 1 (have never got to 0) with no snoring but I find the aerophagia is a bit worse. Seems to be a trade off of low AHI  and no aerophagia though aerophagia is not really a problem now. I have tried to go back to the Nasal mask a couple of times but don't really like mouth taping which I have to do. 
Good luck - it is very difficult to get everything just right
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 626 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,601 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.